• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I get another bunny?

drea

New Kit
Hi

My bunny "Tickles" died at the weekend, leaving her beloved sister "Freckles" behind. They were both outdoor bunnies and were very close, I feel so sad all the time thinking of poor freckles on her own. I would like to get another bunny, but am afraid how she will react to another bunny (she's quite shy:oops:). How are you meant to introduce new rabbits and would it be better to get a male bunny this time or stick with another female?

Thanks
Drea and Freckles xx

neutered males are easier to bond with females than other females, a friend would be good but i dont know if you have to wait a while because she'll be missing her other friend, some one more experienced should be along soon

Might be easiest with a neutered male, it's worth getting a rescue rabbit as you can make sure the bunnies get on well before you adopt plus it means you can find a bunny similar in age already neutered.

What did Tickles die of? Sorry you lost her :( As long as it's not contagious you don't need to wait. A neutered male would be a good match.

And your local rescue might be able to help you with bonding them- have a look on Rabbit Rehome.

Thats very sad, so sorry. A friend is a good idea and sometimes best to get no sooner rather than wait. Good luck in your quest. x

Sorry to hear of your loss Drea.

Can I ask, does Freckles know where Tickles has gone? Did she pass away while they were together or while at the vets? I ask because when a rabbit's friend has gone missing, the rabbit that is left behind can sometimes take a bit longer to be ready to accept a new friend because they think that their old friend will be back soon. If Tickles died peacefully when they were together and Freckles had time to grieve before the body was removed, then it should prove much easier to introduce the new friend.

I lost my dear Freckles from (probably congenital) heart failure a few weeks ago (long term foster sisters) and her sister was able to lie with her for a good few hours before we took her Freckles away. This should help me with bonding her with her new fella. She's currently side by side with her prospective new boyfriend and the signs are looking good that she will accept him successfully.

I agree with the other posts which suggest getting your local rescue to bond her as they will try her with bunnies until she falls in love with someone. It might be on her first date or it could be after a few with a few different boys have been tried. At least this way you won't have a new bunny being brought home that your girl doesn't want to be with. Bonding her off site in a totally neutral situation should help to make it much easier to achieve a quick and easy bond too.

I wish you and Freckles all the best....

My female rabbit was fine after her sister died but then she was the dominant one and i used to spend alot of time with her. I have 2 neutered males which fight so am having to rehome my dwarf, i do want a companion for my other one though, i think mixed sexes neutered are the easiest to get to bond, im sorry you lost your other rabbit.

Sorry to hear of your loss Drea.

Can I ask, does Freckles know where Tickles has gone? Did she pass away while they were together or while at the vets? I ask because when a rabbit's friend has gone missing, the rabbit that is left behind can sometimes take a bit longer to be ready to accept a new friend because they think that their old friend will be back soon. If Tickles died peacefully when they were together and Freckles had time to grieve before the body was removed, then it should prove much easier to introduce the new friend.

I lost my dear Freckles from (probably congenital) heart failure a few weeks ago (long term foster sisters) and her sister was able to lie with her for a good few hours before we took her Freckles away. This should help me with bonding her with her new fella. She's currently side by side with her prospective new boyfriend and the signs are looking good that she will accept him successfully.

I agree with the other posts which suggest getting your local rescue to bond her as they will try her with bunnies until she falls in love with someone. It might be on her first date or it could be after a few with a few different boys have been tried. At least this way you won't have a new bunny being brought home that your girl doesn't want to be with. Bonding her off site in a totally neutral situation should help to make it much easier to achieve a quick and easy bond too.

I wish you and Freckles all the best....

They were both together when Tickles died, i left the hutch door for Freckles to come out on her own accord, so hopefully that will help with the griefing process. If I do get another bunny it will definately be from a re-homing centre, I didn't realise they help with the pairing up and bonding as well so that is brilliant news!! I think its becoming more likely that I'll get Freckles and new friend to play with.

Thank you to everyone, it was a great help!!

Back