• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering of wild rabbit risk?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
My little wild bun is tiny and I'm wondering if there is much of a risk for small bunnies when neutered? Shes about 8 months old. thought i could get it done before she gets bonded.

I am not able to answer but Holly is due to be spayed soon and she is a very small lionhead so have been wondering the same.

Rosie is extremely timid so I am worrying about her too!

Its a worry...she's due at the vets this week for a mxy jab so I'll ask the vet. Not long ago the vet said she was too small to be neutered and I'm sure she hasn't grown since:roll:

Hello :wave: How much does Spudsey weigh? I also have the same problem as I have 4 wild rabbits that I hand reared from a week old, they are now 4 months old and look so tiny compared to pet rabbits. The heaviest is the boy and hes 1.2kg but the girls are only bout 1 - 1.1kg.
I'm sure she should be fine to be spayed as the vets where I work spay ferrets and some of them are tiny. :D
Emily

Hello :wave: How much does Spudsey weigh? I also have the same problem as I have 4 wild rabbits that I hand reared from a week old, they are now 4 months old and look so tiny compared to pet rabbits. The heaviest is the boy and hes 1.2kg but the girls are only bout 1 - 1.1kg.
I'm sure she should be fine to be spayed as the vets where I work spay ferrets and some of them are tiny. :D
Emily

I have no idea what she weighs...:oops: will try and weigh her later see if I can get her on some scales! Are you keeping your wildies?

I think I will be keeping them. They live in our study at the moment as its so cold and haven't got very thick coats :) They all have very different characters and are very naughty:roll: but entertaining to watch. Compared to domestic rabbits they are very athletic and lively. Whats Spudsey like?

I think I will be keeping them. They live in our study at the moment as its so cold and haven't got very thick coats :) They all have very different characters and are very naughty:roll: but entertaining to watch. Compared to domestic rabbits they are very athletic and lively. Whats Spudsey like?

:lol::lol: Yep very naughty!!! has eaten my carpet, my skirting boards, window frames etc etc and very very energetic runs laps around the room at extremely high speeds buts shes lovely! There are some photos of her on the photos link which i took last week.

I have a really small bun & waited until she was a year old to get her spayed. You can have a blood test done though before hand?

Bunnymadhouse on here's sister has a wild bun - she was spayed, you could ask her?:D

I have a really small bun & waited until she was a year old to get her spayed. You can have a blood test done though before hand?

Bunnymadhouse on here's sister has a wild bun - she was spayed, you could ask her?:D

ah right ok thats probably a good thing and I'll ask bunnymadhouse about her sisters bunny...thanks!

sweetpea was fine ...after we worried our heads off about her ....she flew though the op and was soon bouncing around as normal :roll: :roll:

Back