• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybody know about this?

vikkia1234

Warren Scout
I have just read on website that you should never feed green vegetables to rabbits younger than 6 months? Is this true?

I've been feeding Aftias greens since he was 3 months old and he is perfectly fine! As long as you give one green at a time and in very low quantities i think there is no problem!

I wean all our babies onto greens.

When you aquire a young rabbit it is important to find out if it has already been weaned onto greens or not. If not you need to introduce one green, a little bit at a time over a few days.

This helps them build up a tolerance and helps you identify any that cause GI upsets so you can avoid feeding them in future.

Something else i have just read :-

Never feed your rabbits lettuce or cole family vegetables such as cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or broccoli . They can cause enteritis and possibly causing your rabbit to die.

I always feed guinness cabbage and sprouts! I found this on Yahoo down as the best answer, surely thats not right either is it?

Something else i have just read :-

Never feed your rabbits lettuce or cole family vegetables such as cabbage, kale, kohlrabi, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or broccoli . They can cause enteritis and possibly causing your rabbit to die.

I always feed guinness cabbage and sprouts! I found this on Yahoo down as the best answer, surely thats not right either is it?

I think if a bunny has a sensitive tum these things should be given a wide birth as they cause gas and I guess could cause bloat. I feed broccoli frequently and kale occasionally [although you shouldn't give that to *anything* daily as it's high in oxalates] with no problems.. Personally I don't feed cabbage. Never heard of anyone giving a bun cauliflower [apart from the leaves]

Me :oops:

My rabbits have: cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. We don't buy us kale so they don't get it either. Don't know what kohlrabi is :oops:

I give savoy cabbage to Guinness daily because i get a really good deal on them, perhaps i should cut down if it can cause bloat. I dont even know what enteritis is?

Thats the problem with these half answers :roll: They can CONTRIBUTE to enteritis but if weaned properly they are unlikely to be the sole cause.

Enteritis is most likely to occur in weanling kits and young rabbits because there tummies are going through PH readjustment. Feeding foods they are not used to suddenly inconjunction with this will cause disturbances of the GI tract, namely, Mucoid Enteritis of Entertoxemia.

Yep, it's sudden diet changes that are the problem. Scamp was handreared and has no problems with any of these but they've all been introduced gradually.

When you see on the net- your rabbit can possibly die if you feed it this it just makes you worry uneccesarily, Yahoo do have some funny answers on there!

Back