• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can snuffles lead to death?

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Sorry if this is a silly question but is snuffles / pasturella life threatening?

Fae has been diagnosed with it, but the vet doesnt want to treat her yet as she is absolutely fine in herself - eating fine, toileting fine etc.. He thinks medication could make her even more poorly.

Its probably something she'll have to live with (obviously if she gets worse she'll be put on meds), but is it something i should be worrying about??

I couldnt bear to lose her :( :(

Yes, pasteurella can be fatal, but usually if it causes abscesses or leads to complications like pneumonia.

Try not to worry too much about it, I bet most folks on here have a rabbit with it even if they are not symptomatic.

Hugs to you and Fae

Amy

My nethie suffers with snuffles.
It is one of those conditions that hopefully for most of the time the rabbits immune system keeps under control.
When symptoms such as runny nose, noisy breathing, generally unwell start then you need to get the rabbit onto a long course of baytril - normally about three weeks - to make sure it's completely under control.
It is usually only if you don't act on the symptoms that it can become fatal.

My bunnies are sometimes a bit sneezy but this is usually after they have dived head long into their hay and go it all over their faces....

Frosty was a bit sneezy when we first got him and it was lots of trips to the vets to try to work out what was causing it.... removing all the hay from the house and hutch.... removing straw... trying different hay... plus various inspections. Since his teeth were overgrown when we got him (unknown to us which is another story) the vet said that might cause it and the teeth could have damaged his nasal passages or something like that. They looked up his nose much to his disgust!

They couldn't find anything wrong with him and changing his housing didn't seem to make a difference.

The vet said he was just a sniffly bunny and that thats one of his quirks. He does sneeze every now and again, then has an odd surprised look on his face, but then just gets on with bunny things and causing mischief. He doesn't seem affected by it in any way. His appetite is HUGE and he poops loads and drinks loads.

Whats this Baytril all about? Is it something that bunnies are supposed to have?

Hi Graeme,

Baytril is an antibiotic for bunnies which is supposed to treat a manner of illnesses such as snuffles, open wounds etc..

Fae had a 7 day course of it but it didnt clear up her snuffles - but if she gets any worse then the vets want to put her back on it.

The best advice I ever got was from Lou at the rescue, and that was you need a good long course of Baytril - at least three weeks - to kick it into touch.
With this advice Joey's last episode was in Feb 07, he had three weeks of Baytril even though he appeared very much better within a few days, and (touching wood) hasn't had another episode as yet.

Back