• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Jazzy :'(

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
went to feed the bunnies this morning and jazz's back legs and feet were coverd in mud, I took him inside to wash him off to find that he has been chewing the backs of his legs:cry: its gone through to the bone on both legs he looks as if hes cleaned the area too much, :cry::cry: I have bought him and gizmo inside as the weather is awful nothing like this has ever happend before and I check them over every day without fail and didnt notice anything like this before they are sat in the empty batch with towls etc I feel so bad what has led Jazz to do this I have got an appointment at the vets for 2.30 what do you thing they will do? My bunnies get the best care :cry: I feel so so bad. Heis eating and drinking and running around like normal i'm just stopping him from licking the wound..is there anything I can do? I feel incredibly bad maybe I shouldnt have rabbits:cry::cry::cry:

Sorry to hear about Jazzy :(

I doubt he's been chewing his feet (they usually chew front feet if they're into self-mutilation :( ). I would think it's sore hocks from all the mud and wetness.

Are you sure it's down to the bone? If so, he'll need to see a vet asap. Even if it's not down to the bone, he'll probably need antibiotics if the skin is broken.

Amy

It is down to the bone he keeps licking it :cry: My bunnies get the best care. he going to the vets at 2.30 thats the earliest appoinment i could get him :cry:

Oh dear poor bun. Could he have some sort of skin problem which was irritating for him and he's just bitten away at his leg continuously (- you know like when you have a gnat bite and you have to keep scratching even though you know you shouldnt).

I hope he's ok. Keep us updated

I will keep you updated hes eating normaly which is a good sign. I hope he will be ok. he wasnt like this yesterday. please send him vibes :cry:

It sounds awful, and what a shock for you. Vibes for poor Jazzy, and good luck at the vets. Keep us updated.

Sweetheart, try not to think about that.

Is your vet a good bunny vet?

Thinking of you for later and sending vibes for Jazzy.
Vanessa xx

oh dear ....dont feel so bad ...:(
you are taking him to the vets ...thats the best thing .

im sure theyll do their best for him .
good luck and i hope all goes ok .

Angie

oooh how awful - hopefully if you keep him dry it will heal up nicely though - I'm sure it's a common problem at the mo with this dreadful weather :(

Hi Sweetie :wave:

I'm in Plymouth too if you need any help with Jazzy. Which vets do you go to?

I'll pm you my mobile number just in case you need it. They won't take him away from you and I'm sure he will be fine. Can you take a pic of the wound?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Sweetie :wave:

I'm in Plymouth too if you need any help with Jazzy. Which vets do you go to?

I'll pm you my mobile number just in case you need it. They won't take him away from you and I'm sure he will be fine. Can you take a pic of the wound?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Thanks :) I use the vets at hillcrest (vetinary hospital group) they are normally pretty good. I would take a pic of the wound but I dont want to hurt him. will keep you updated.

Thanks. xx

Last edited:
O.k. Sweetpea. Try not to worry. I've sent you my mobile number just incase you need any help with anything. I'm in Plympton.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back from the vets, he has a few mites so has been given some spot on stuff to get rid of them. The vet watched him walk and said he looked fine walking she didnt do anything to his legs as she said I should leave them to heal naturaly, if hes still licking his legs loads iv got to take him back in 2 days if he seems to be fine I have to take him back for a check up in 2 weeks. The vet said they can go back outside so have been out and disinfected the hutch and they are both back out munching hay. I must of sounded like a right idiot when I phoned the vet I was crying down the phone I couldnt help it :oops: :cry: also took giz with me and he got some spot on stuff aswell.

Back