• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering

kizzybunny

Young Bun
can anyone guide me as to whether this is a good idea for a rabbit? Kizzys so far not displaying any 'bad' habits in the house or in the garden - such as spraying or nastiness and if this is the case should i lay of neuturing him?
What the the pros and cons? :D

How old is Kizzy? He may not have hit puberty yet. It is better to neuter before any anti-social behaviours become apparent.

It also prevents testicular cancer, which whilst not as prolific as utering cancer, can still be a killer.

How old is Kizzy? He may not have hit puberty yet. It is better to neuter before any anti-social behaviours become apparent.

It also prevents testicular cancer, which whilst not as prolific as utering cancer, can still be a killer.

thanks for your replies

kizzy was born 4th september. so hes 4 months old. is he old enough? i don't remmeber what my vet told me.
i got a letter today from my vet offering 10% off neutering ( amongst other treaments etc) as its rabbit week or something next week :)

thanks for your replies

kizzy was born 4th september. so hes 4 months old. is he old enough? i don't remmeber what my vet told me.
i got a letter today from my vet offering 10% off neutering ( amongst other treaments etc) as its rabbit week or something next week :)

Can you see his 'bits' yet? They tend to drop around 16 weeks onwards.

No problem.

If they are there and 'full' and rounded as opposed to resembling sundried tomatoes (you will never see one the same way again :lol:) then he is ready for the snip.

thanks for your replies

if they're offering you a discount I'd bite their hand off!!! :lol::lol::lol:

hmmmm hmmmm hmmmm

If you are enjoying Kizzy's attentions you will recognise the hmmmm!
In almost all cases I would neuter any rabbit male or female to stop 'habbits' which although perfectly natural to the rabbit can be difficult for the carer - and lead to problems trying to keep more than one rabbit! (fights, spraying, etc). However we had a stray entire male of about 9 months 'dumped' in a garden near us and we took him in to join the merry throng. Despite being 'entire' has never sprays, never bites, never fights (though the others do try and do their territorial bit with him), and is generally totally oblivious to the little entire girl in the next cage (awaiting a neuter when she big enough - but boy has she hit puberty!! obviously they never get to both stay out at the same time!!),
Once a day he does the hum and circle bit with my slippers and leg - but other than that he is perfectly trouble free. Two vets have said they think they may have heard something 'not quite right' when listening to his heartbeat (these are experienced rabbit vets but they still couldn't quite say what it was - if there is ever a real need for an op I will take him to one of the real big units like Bristol for a full heart scan) so I have decided not to chance the operation.
Moral of the story I guess is wait to see what he turns out like and if he is trouble free you have to balance the operation risk against any possible 'gain' (although I do take the point about testicular cancer - Parsley will have to get used to my checking him!).:shock:

OMG, you are soooo lucky there to actually have experienced rabbit vets! In Greece most vets can only treat cats and dogs! But that's not the matter in this topic!
Anyway neutering males is much easier on comparison with spaying females because it is kind of an "external" surgery! I mean that most vets just cut one or two incisions on the bunnies "stuff", remove the testicles and then stitch them up! My boys got neutered by a kattle vet in my town, that treats meat rabbits, and they had absolytely no problem!
So, don't worry about the neutering! This is just routine for an experienced rabbit vet! Anyway most of the rabbits come to sexual maturity at about 5-6 months of age! But,as the other people here said, you'll know by the...:censored:!
Oh, and something else that i have read concerning neuter/spay! Unneutered/unspayed rabbits that do not intercourse are much more prone to heart conditions, because their heart is too small for their body, and so much more sensitive when hormones hit the "tilt"!

If you are enjoying Kizzy's attentions you will recognise the hmmmm!
In almost all cases I would neuter any rabbit male or female to stop 'habbits' which although perfectly natural to the rabbit can be difficult for the carer - and lead to problems trying to keep more than one rabbit! (fights, spraying, etc). However we had a stray entire male of about 9 months 'dumped' in a garden near us and we took him in to join the merry throng. Despite being 'entire' has never sprays, never bites, never fights (though the others do try and do their territorial bit with him), and is generally totally oblivious to the little entire girl in the next cage (awaiting a neuter when she big enough - but boy has she hit puberty!! obviously they never get to both stay out at the same time!!),
Once a day he does the hum and circle bit with my slippers and leg - but other than that he is perfectly trouble free. Two vets have said they think they may have heard something 'not quite right' when listening to his heartbeat (these are experienced rabbit vets but they still couldn't quite say what it was - if there is ever a real need for an op I will take him to one of the real big units like Bristol for a full heart scan) so I have decided not to chance the operation.
Moral of the story I guess is wait to see what he turns out like and if he is trouble free you have to balance the operation risk against any possible 'gain' (although I do take the point about testicular cancer - Parsley will have to get used to my checking him!).:shock:

thankyou SO much for that reply. i think thats what ill do. ill wait to see if he starts getting hormanal in a bad disturbing/unsocial way and then decide on neutering. Id rather not take the risk of surgery if its not totally necessary. :)
I would deffo MISS the circling and humming. Its adorable :rolleyes:

the circling and buzzing is his way of trying to impress his favourite lady so I'm guess they've dropped. It will probably fade after the snip but mine still do it a bit....especially if I have food.

the circling and buzzing is his way of trying to impress his favourite lady so I'm guess they've dropped. It will probably fade after the snip but mine still do it a bit....especially if I have food.

i know im his favourite lady :rolleyes: - he licks me too which is so lovely.
i never knew a rabbit could give so much affection. I love him to cotton pieces :D

well folks he had his bits chopped off a week ago.
He started spraying me after his cute humming and circling he flicked his behind to one side and finished it off with a spray of urine all over my clean jean or worse bare leg :lol: - not so cute . so off he went for the chop.
He had a good recovery and im hoping it doesn't stop him buzzing and cicling entirely - ill miss that.

ive been told it will take 4 to 6 weeks to totally settle down so ill have to wait and see.
Im glad ive had him done though. Maybe ill get him a friend now. :D

My ben does the circling and humming thing but aint sprayed me yet, I may take him on a visit to the vets soon though before he gets the chance, has his temprement changed? Just benny has a lovely temprement and I dont want that to change!

no he hasn't changed a bit.
apparantly it doesn't change their temperament as in normal behaviour. It just stops the sexual behaviour IE spraying territorial aggression etc. :)

Back