• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this normal...post castration.....please read U/D he's picking up!

kelzuna

Warren Scout
Liquorice is home. he came home at 6.15. He has been castrated which went fine, had one tear duct flushed (the other eye was totally blocked and vet couldnt find duct to flush !!) also had teeth filed a little.

vet rang and asked me to collect liquorice at 4.45pm, but then rang back and asked me to collect him later as he was taking a little while to come around properly.

Anyway, we came home and he ambled out of his carrier, sat in same place for a minute before going behind the sofa to lie under the radiator (his fave spot).

Hes not miving much....is this normal????? im so worried!!!! I keep checking to see if he is breathing!!!!! he moves occasionally to change position . hes been there for 2hrs now! How did your rabbits react?

Last edited:
Totally normal, try not to worry. Just leave him quiet and warm until he chooses to move.

He is acting normal after an operation.When my Angel was spayed she didn,t move all evening.You could try tempt him in an hour or two to have a drink of water or a little of something to eat.I am sure he will be more livelier in the morning:D

Hi there.

I have had quite a few fellas home (foster bunnies) following their castrations. I had a couple that didn't do much at all for a good few hours afterwards except sit in their litter trays doing nothing. I was concerned at the time as it actually took a couple of days for them to get right back to their normal behaviour. I now know that this was nothing out of the ordinary, and that all bunnies can be slightly different with their response to the anaesthetic.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Mine recovered quickly enough - had already chewed through one set of stiches by the time we left the vets!

Your vet should have told you what to expect to save you worrying.

We had to confine Squidgy to a very small area, as he was very dopy and kept falling over. He was very quiet, but was back to normal within a coulple of days. I did have to take him back to the vet, as he was eating, but no poop was coming out! He was fine though.
Try not to worry, although I know it's hard!

Phoebe was quiet - i just popped him in his hutch with his cushions and towels then popped a towel over the hutch mesh to darken it so he could relax - he lay asleep most of the night. he came round the nxt morning though

My oscar did something very similar, hid behind the couch. I think post op they just want some space to sleep and be in their familiar place. Dont worry too much, he will soon be back to his normal self.

Buster was the same. I just put him in his pen with a hotwater bottle and blankets and left him be. He is in my room anyways so always has company. Took a good week before he was back to normal.

Totally normal! He is still doped up by the anaesthetic drug! He is going to come round soon!Just make sure that he drinks and eats something! Stomach block and dehydration are not needed right now! Not ever as a matter of fact!

I had my rabbits done at a vets that kept them overnight which i found much less stressful, the only thing i noticed was they went off their food slightly for a week but apart from that they were happy and jumping round. Most important thing is to makesure he is passing droppings

It's odd to do so many operations under one GA because that's a long GA. That would explain who he is feeling that way. I bet he is under GA for too long to do that list of things

Thanks for all your replies.

He's picking up really well. I stayed downstairs with him last night and brought his hutch into front room (from conservatory where he normally sleeps - a lot cooler than rest of house).

He's been eating, drinking and pooing so im pleased!!! Yeahy!!!! Still not totally his self but thats to be expected i suppose.

Thanks again...u all put my mind at rest! :wave:

My rabbit Merlin was castrated on Wednesday and was quiet when I brought him home but today is back to normal chasing my cat and has deceided the comfy chair is for his use only getting awkward if anyone else sits on it. He refused to eat at the vets but didn't stop once home also thumping his feet alot while there so he wasn't forgoten.

Hope your rabbit continues to improve

Back