• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Domino been given too much anti-inflammatory - U/D on Domino

susiemae

Mama Doe
Well, the title says it all really. Just been to pick up Domino after his castration and the nurse calls me in to speak to me and she said that there was a mistake with Domino's medicine. One nurse gave him a dose of anti-inflammatory and didnt mark it on the care sheet and subsequently another nurse also gave him a dose. They are keeping him in over night for observation but Im worried about him now. Is there liable to be any problems in this regard?

Last edited:
OH hunny sorry i've not really got any advice but at least the vets are keeping an eye on her, she's in the best place. Hopefully someone will come along soon with better advice. But until then ((((((((((big big hugs hunny))))))))) for you and Domino xx

Then i can only really speculate and that wont do anyone any good.

Your vets should have explained to you what possible side-effects/damage could be caused when they spoke to you.

I hope you intend to make a formal complaint.

Then i can only really speculate and that wont do anyone any good.

Your vets should have explained to you what possible side-effects/damage could be caused when they spoke to you.

I hope you intend to make a formal complaint.

When I asked the nurse about side-effects she said there wouldnt be any, just that they thought they should keep him in overnight for observation. Maybe Im being naive here but I would expect them to be honest with me and if there were to be complications I would obviously want to know. I know this is bascially negligence on their part but if you think they are being "economical" with the truth and there is a chance there could be complications then I would be grateful if you would tell me. Ive put my trust in them. You can pm me if you dont want to discuss this on the open forum. Thanks Sooz

I would expect them to take a blood test tomorrow to assess Kidney and Liver Function
I think an IV drip might not go amiss tonight

:?

Janex

When I asked the nurse about side-effects she said there wouldnt be any, just that they thought they should keep him in overnight for observation. Maybe Im being naive here but I would expect them to be honest with me and if there were to be complications I would obviously want to know. I know this is bascially negligence on their part but if you think they are being "economical" with the truth and there is a chance there could be complications then I would be grateful if you would tell me. Ive put my trust in them. You can pm me if you dont want to discuss this on the open forum. Thanks Sooz

As Jane has said I would be particularly concerned about liver/kidney function.

Request bloods tomorrow and make sure your vets cover the cost.

I actually cannot begin to explain how angry I would be if this had happened to one of my animals.

I would also almost certainly be changing vets.

As Jane has said I would be particularly concerned about liver/kidney function.

Request bloods tomorrow and make sure your vets cover the cost.

I actually cannot begin to explain how angry I would be if this had happened to one of my animals.

I would also almost certainly be changing vets.

Thanks Sooz and Jane for your advice.

Whats making my blood boil at the moment is that they have played down these side effects which they must obviously know about. I dont understand why (a) one of the vets didnt come and see me themselves to explain and (b) the nurse tells me there will be no side effects when there will be, and quite dangerous ones too. Ive just googled it and the results came back as overdose of this type of medicine is toxic to the kidneys. Im shocked and disgusted that they've played down the whole situation when Im entitled to know exactly what could happen to Domino because of their negligence.

Im very upset and quite scared of what the outcome may be tomorrow for little Domino

Thanks Sooz and Jane for your advice.

Whats making my blood boil at the moment is that they have played down these side effects which they must obviously know about. I dont understand why (a) one of the vets didnt come and see me themselves to explain and (b) the nurse tells me there will be no side effects when there will be, and quite dangerous ones too. Ive just googled it and the results came back as overdose of this type of medicine is toxic to the kidneys. Im shocked and disgusted that they've played down the whole situation when Im entitled to know exactly what could happen to Domino because of their negligence.

Im very upset and quite scared of what the outcome may be tomorrow for little Domino

Can you get in touch with the Vet now? I really think you need to ask if Domino has been put on an IV drip to support his kidney function.
Also, was it Rimadyl (Carprofen) or Metacam (Meloxicam) that was given?

Janex

Can you get in touch with the Vet now? I really think you need to ask if Domino has been put on an IV drip to support his kidney function.
Also, was it Rimadyl (Carprofen) or Metacam (Meloxicam) that was given?

Janex

No, Ive just tried ringing them and theres just a recorded message. I dont think Im going to sleep tonight now with the worry of how he is.

I cant believe this - they are supposed to be rabbit-savvy vets!!!

There must be someone at the surgery if they are keeping him overnight for observation. Can you not leave a message?

There must be someone at the surgery if they are keeping him overnight for observation. Can you not leave a message?

No there was facility to leave messages:roll: but Ive managed to get hold of the people that run the overnight side of things and they're going to get someone from the surgery to ring me.

No there was facility to leave messages:roll: but Ive managed to get hold of the people that run the overnight side of things and they're going to get someone from the surgery to ring me.

Oh good, I hope you can get some answers from them.

How terrible for you and Domino. I hope he is OK but I would be insisting on tests now and in the future at their cost to make sure he is OK.

Get well vibes on their way to Domino.

Any news on your boy?

If it were a case of metacam given orally he should be fine.

Anything else and I agree he should have a free blood test to check all is ok with his organs.

Hope you are ok too.

Back