• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Insurance?

Have you insured your rabbit(s)?

• Total voters

Kenno

Warren Scout
:wave:
I just wanted to see how many people have insured their rabbits and who with.

I've just insured mine with Petplan and was curious. :D

My vets has a rabbit practice plan, which I've signed up for. It's not the same as insurance, as you just get 20% off everything apart from medicine. So no get out clauses etc.

I wouldn't go for rabbit insurance personally. Some (or all?) plans don't even cover E Cuniculi treatment, as it's a parasite.

alvin is insured with petplan, pearl will be by the end of this week i havent phoned em yet and i feel too tired to do it today :oops:

I thought I had then tried to make a claim with Barney only to find out it never went through properly :? Since then they've all been ill but I think only a couple of times the insurance would have covered it as there is a £60 excess with petplan and its usually no more than £15 at my vets.

petplan and so thankful as between the two pp have paid out over £1000 in the last 12 months due to parsley have EC and requiring regular blood tests and miffy when she was spayed was poorly and had to stay in hospital for 2 night, we also had parsley knock candle wax all over him when he got a little bit too adventurous when we'd only had him 2 weeks i felt like a very bad bunny mummy

Personally I don't think there's any need for pet insurance for our rabbits. We have enough money put aside to cover any bills, and if it goes into ridiculous amounts in a short space of time then it makes us think whether it's worth putting the bunny through all the treatment and suffering. Perhaps it would be kinder to let them go, which was the case with skid.

Plus in 20 years the vast majority of our rabbits have only ever needed to go to the vets for vaccinations and neutering. Only had a few that had things go wrong.

But of course everyone's situation is different. I'd certainly consider insurance for pedigree dogs as they have known health problems due to over breeding and their bills are higher. But then again I stick to cross breeds and mongrels.

Last edited:
Plus in 20 years the vast majority of our rabbits have only ever needed to go to the vets for vaccinations and neutering. Only had a few that had things go wrong.

That's certainly been my experience with our cats and dog, so I'm taking my chances and hoping Muppet has a long, healthy and happy life :D And if the worse happens, I shall raid my savings.

I think it depends on how tight your budget is and how well you can roll with any knocks that come. Rather like needing a fixed rate mortgage rather than a variable rate.

My mother has a theory that you end up paying the same anyway - either monthly via insurance or in one big go when something major goes wrong :lol:

I dont insure my buns. I got a quote for all four and it was something like £50 a month. Thats a bit much for me on top of bunny supplies, other vet bills like myxo jags, vhd jags, panacur etc etc!! My vets are understanding so would let me pay the money up if i was struggling so im not going to insure them!! :D

I have one bun and my cat under pet plan. My girl bun in for her 6 month myxi in Feb so getting her insured after as want vet to see if he knows the breed as pet plan want it :/

Back