• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need a cheap indoor cage

As cheap as possible :D.

I do have some grids, but I want to put it on top of a 48 inch dog crate, so a solid base is needed.

Amy

What about this one?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_cage/42416

Or maybe ebay or ask your local rescue if they sell any.

That's the cage I was thinking of. Bella has that and it's a great cage, and I thought it was cheap for the size (my local pet shop said they could get the same cage but would have to charge £120.00 :shock: for it as they couldn't buy it for what Zooplus are selling it for). I'm sure you can get cheaper on Ebay, but I can't get Ebay. The delivery was good too - I got it in about four days I think. :)

How easy is it to remove the front? Could I use it like a regular door? It's just that being quite short, I don't think I'll be able to reach the door in the top once it's standing on top of the dog crate.

Tried ebay, but forgot to bid on the one I wanted, and no others in my area.

Amy

The whole of the front lifts inwards which is great as there are two small doors on the top which are neither big enough for getting a big bun out, or big enough to get to the whole of the cage to clean it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a ropey type rabbit toy hanging in both Bella and Tarquin's cages so I just lift the whole of the front up and clip it up and it means that when either of them are out of their cages they can hop in and out as they please and it's secure. It's great for cleaning as it gives you access to the whole of the cage without grovelling round or into corners :roll: :)

I have cages on top of cages for all my piggies, and the biggest you will be able to lift down singlehanded is a 2x3 cage - unfortunately that's not very big - I wish my piggies could have bigger but I'd need a stepladder to get them out the door on top - and the doors on the side are no use for grabbing an animal - more designed for the animal to come and go through.

Not sure if you can see from these photos what I mean.

The first photo is the cage (with Bella in it! and T in his too :)):

Bed-Time---3.jpg

This one you can just see at the left that the whole of the front is open and it's held up and secured on the top of the cage:

Bella-and-Tarquin.jpg

Tarquin's cage is slightly smaller and it's the end on that one that lifts up. :)

PAH are doing a good sized one atm for 39 pounds (thats if you do shop there;)

Its the dark blue one in the photo above, i have it for my two indoor piggies

Last edited:
and the biggest you will be able to lift down singlehanded is a 2x3 cage -

Pfft, you have no determination there Elve! My OAP rats lived in a 2x4 rabbit cage and I lifted that up and down a ladder by myself from the alcove it sat in above my bedroom door ;)

Amy we often get given 2nd hand ones..which we sell for £10..

or we let fosterers have them for the Honeybunnies they look after..:D
pm me as i think we have one being given in on Friday and can get it to Gamston early next week:D

Amy you can have the dog crate I have...its only 36 inches though- and the base is missing, although I put carpet on the bottom, with plastic over the top.

Its yours if you want it.

Ooo, that sounds ideal :D

I might pop down to kennelgate and have a look...if I've got enough money left in my bank account to buy it :roll:

Amy

I've seen the kennelgate one - it's really nice.. they had one for sale for £15 a while back cos one of the bars was broken (but repairable) - why didn't I buy it!? :roll:

Thanks for the offers, much appreciated :D.

Jill and Mandy, will PM you both.

Unfortunately a couple of my outdoor hutches haven't stood up to the recent bad weather very well, and it's far too wet to varish/wood stain them ATM :roll:

Argh, been having so much cr*p luck with the rabbits so far this year. :(

Amy

Back