• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Together to vets?

Ida

Warren Scout
When it's time for Milla to be spayed (she's about four months now), is it best that Ruffen goes with her to the vets, or not? I've heard different things and would like to hear from you :D If he does not go with her, is it better for him to stay elsewhere in the meantime?

I would say definitely take them together. It's obviously a very stressful experience and I personally think it helps to keep them together. I always have taken my bonded pairs to the vet together. :D

my vets wouldn't let me take the male in when the female was spayed. I would ask them if they mind. Mine were ok seperated for a few hours.

i think you should if you can but my female is being spayed tomorrow and i am not allowed to take my neutered male into the vets,the vet said it was best not to.I reckon he is scared of operating on the wrong bunny :lol:even though he is a boy without plums

my vets wont let me take both buns either and to be honest if it was miffy that was poorly and we took parsley along he'd end up being ill from the stress, miffy's quite laid back about being held and transported so it's better for them both

my own experience is that bonded pairs/groups should always travel together to the vets or anywhere. It is noticeable how much more quickly bunnies recover from procedures when their friend(s) are with them.

It helps to prevent a stressful situation being made worse by the bunnies all wondering where their friends have gone.

Our vets encourage it!

Last edited:
We insist on bonded buns coming in together whatever the op is. It stimulates the bun when coming round from the GA and increases recovery time as they feel more secure.
I would insist on them staying together before and after the op.
:D

My vet insisted that we brought both rabbits in, and she is somewhat of an authority on rabbits (Virginnia Richardson who has written books etc)

Thank you for your answers :D I called the vet I intended to use, they said I couldn't bring my other bun, and they said the female had to live separat from the male for at least 10-12 days. They said she could not live with him during this time because she was not allowed to play and move around much, and because of the risk of her catching an infection.. Called another practise and they said it was fine to bring him along and for them to stay together post-op. I'm just worried I've spoken to assistents, and that one of the vets at the practise I intended to use is the best.. Hmm, difficult decision. Both said she could not be spayed until at least 6 months.

staying together pros and cons

With many illnesses and procedures it may be best to have them together for support and recovery. However if you have them in the same cage after the operation it is difficult for the nurses to know whether the recovering bun has poohed and peed and eaten (unless they mount a constant watch!). I am afraid that companions are not above doing the equivalent of going 'hospital visiting and eating all the grapes'!! My vets will take them in together but NOt let them together after the op.

Its true the females have to be treated gently for a while after the op - but I have never actually separated them. Just confined them both to sightly smaller areas with no major steps of leaps possible. Again though you do have to be able to know that the treated rabbit is poohing and peeing.

I think they just keep them in for them to wake up, never over night or something, but I see your point. When I've collected buns before, after neuters and spays, they've never pooed. Didn't think they kept them in to make sure. I can usually tell their poo apart by the way :lol:

Sorry, I didn't understand this sentence:
I am afraid that companions are not above doing the equivalent of going 'hospital visiting and eating all the grapes'!!

I'm not that good in english :oops:

Back