• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

injection help please

hi all

I adopted a lovely 5 month old boy bunny two weeks ago... he has his appointment today for me to reigester him at the vets and also so he can have him bits removed as he keeps peeing on the floor and pooing everywhere... he has had his jabs but the last owner cant kind his card.. the vets have said he has to have his mixi before he can have his op.. Peter is a totally house rabbit, why will he have to have this jab?? he wont be going anywhere near wild rabbits.. infact he wont be going anywhere near another rabbit.. for the money it all costs, does he really need it?? should I try another vet?? some help please...

all buns should have their vaccs even if they are house buns, as it is mosquitoes that carry the disease to pass it on, house buns can get away with it every year tho I think rather than every 6 months for outdoor buns in a high risk area. He should have his VHD two weeks after his Myxi too.

Helen x

will getting him neautered help with the peeing and pooing... as he wont do it in the litter box or his house.. he actually leaves his litter tray to leave dropping every where else... I know ive only had him 2 weeks but will this change?? its starting to drive me insane...:roll:

will getting him neautered help with the peeing and pooing... as he wont do it in the litter box or his house.. he actually leaves his litter tray to leave dropping every where else... I know ive only had him 2 weeks but will this change?? its starting to drive me insane...:roll:

He will probably still do the odd poo outside his litter box after neutering but he should only wee in there afterwards. Unneutered boys sometimes start spraying wee up walls and over people too!

Myxi is spread when a blood sucking insect bites an infected rabbit and then goes on to bite a healthy rabbit. An interchange of blood occurs and some of the infected blood will be transmitted to the healthy rabbit. This is by mosquitos, midges and fleas which can all be brought in by other animals.

VHD can be brought in on your clothes and shoes.

Hi

Does he previous owner know which vac he had and when? Im not sure how dangerous it is to give a bunny another vaccination when he has had one recently, i am sure someone else would know.

Pipstel is right, even indoor buns should be vaccinated every 6 months against myxi, and a every year for vhd.

Neutering should help with the spraying, however i wouldnt be able to say for definite. I was wondering what you have in his litter tray.

Mine has megazorb and loads of hay, i find they eat the hay and poop in there. Not all bunnies are 100% litter trained, but i find that mine are 90% there.

:D

in his litter tray he has proper rabbit tray pellet things and then hay on top.. I know that he does wee in it but he also wee in the carpet.. the wee it dead yellow and smells not nice i clean it with pet acciedent clean up stuff.. he does always go back to the same places though.. as its the middle of the room I cant put the litter tray there. I would if i didnt have a 3 year old running mental round the place all the time.

I cant get in touch with the owner as i dont remember the number and i traveled 20 miles to get him as I wanted a mini lop..:censored: so I cant check about the jabs and stuff.. I gave him my address and he said he would post the information to me as soone as he found it..

Back