• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit concerned about the new bun

kellycartmel

Warren Scout
Arfur came to us on Sunday, he'd had his brekkie before he came and I filled up with hay when we got his hutch sorted out.

Now yesterday I went out and his water was hardly touched but I put pellets in and a load of timothy hay and saw him nibbling it as I was doing the other buns. He's very timid so I've left him to himself.

Today i've been out and there's a little more water gone but his pellets are all still there and a lot of the hay is there. He has been pooing as he goes in his litter tray so its nice and obvious.

Should I just leave him too it? I know he's having hay because there's less than yesterday. He's perky enough, up and down the stairs in the hutch and approaches the doors to see you, just doesn't want a stroke!

If he is lively and pooing then don't worry.
Where did you get him frm as they should have told you what he was fed on before..perhaps he isn't used to your pellets.
is he having veg?
If he is eating hay and veg then that's fine as is his natural diet..

If he is pooping then that is a good sign.

Are his pellets the same as used in his previous home? How old is he?

Has he been used to veggies/herbs/carrots before he came to you. Perhaps he may be tempted by them.

I am sure when he feels more secure his eating will pick up.

he's a freecycle bun that I rescued, I got the other bun from the lady back in December and he settled in just fine.

He was on mix so i've given him half mix and half pellets but he hasn't seemed bother about either of them.

He is lively though and pooing so i'm glad that others think he's ok too, I seem to remember one of our others being off his food for a few days when we got him too.

Thanks!

Its not unusual for them to be off there food for a few days provided they keep nibbling and toileting.

If it goes on for longer than a week I would get a vet check, particularly on his teeth.

little update, he's drunk a lot overnight (almost half the bottle) and has picked out all the mix from the pellets :roll: and eaten veg and hay, plenty of poo and jumping around from him too!

I shall now have to invest in a run to connect to his hutch so he can be like the others and have access when he chooses!

Back