• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

kizzy update

kizzybunny

Young Bun
:wave:hi all

just to update

kizzy had HIS vaccinations. Found out he was a he whilst the vet gave him a health check :lol:

all went well and he hasn't got to go for another 6 months now for the myxi and a year for the VHD.

pleased i had them done and he goes out all day now and then spends the evening in the house with me. :D

The vet said it was important that he spent at least three hours out grazing in the day rain or shine (so long as he has shelter) so that he doesn't get teeth decay . Also he needs the grass etc to keep his digestive system healthy.
I also changed him over to pellets over night (as instructed by the vet) and it went VEY well. He actually likes the pellets better than the rabbit mix and the best bit NO WASTE :D

I know this sounds really silly but as a result of the vaccinations/ daily exercise outsdie and pellet diet he is healthier and less destructive in the house too.
When he comes in from a day in the garden he rests a bit in his house then spends the night laid out in front of the fire with me. He doesn't seem as interested in chewing - which is the biggest plus of all :rabbit2:

i am just waiting for the neutering. He has to grow a little first though. :D

hope all had a good christmas and everyones rabbits are happy and healthy
:D

kizzys mum x

I'm glad everything went well for Kizzy and you, even if he's changed sex :lol:

Just a couple of questions :D

Did he have both his vaccinations together?

Did you change Kizzy's food over the course of at least a week?

Have you got any pictures of Kizzy?

hmmm...

I'm thinking the same thing..

Did he have both vaccinations on the same day? They are supposed to have vaccines two weeks apart otherwise they will most likely be of no use.

Also, good that your vet recommended you change from muesli food to pellets, but did they tell you that you must do this over a course of a weekk to ten days??

I have to say i'm not really liking the sound of your vet!!

The Nobivac myxi and Cylap/Lapinject VHD vaccines are not licensed for administration together. They must be given two weeks apart.

Was 10% of the Myxi given into the base of his ear?

Also a rabbits diet should be changed over no less than 10 days as it risks digestive upset.

dont worry!!! of course they were given separately :D i think maybe 10 days apart i cannot remember. :D

the pellet thing was done over night. The vet told me todo it that way as he was still young and it was the best way to do it.

She seemed to know what she was talking about. I think the best advice was keeping kizzy outdoors for a few hours each day tp graze. He LOVES it and it will avoid any teeth problems which would cost me a fortune to have regular treatment for the rest of his life.

I do feel that rabbits should be outdoors. They are natural grazers and this surely is the best thing for them.

I think kizzy would go stir crazy if i kept him indoors all day everyday. :lol:

the pellet thing was done over night. The vet told me todo it that way as he was still young and it was the best way to do it.

I do feel that rabbits should be outdoors. They are natural grazers and this surely is the best thing for them.

Young rabbits have a higher incidence of digestive upset due to the readjustment of the stomachs PH balance.

This is why they are more likely to develop Mucoid Enteritis/Enterotoxemia and/or Coccidiosis.

I dont have a lawn but my rabbits get plenty of hay and ready grass to keep their teeth down. My rabbits also get far more attention being inside and those that are outside all live with at least one other rabbit to make up for this.

dont worry!!! of course they were given separately :D i think maybe 10 days apart i cannot remember. :D

She seemed to know what she was talking about. I think the best advice was keeping kizzy outdoors for a few hours each day tp graze. He LOVES it and it will avoid any teeth problems which would cost me a fortune to have regular treatment for the rest of his life.

My house buns love being indoors and I love having them around. My all have constant access to hay and none have any teeth problems

but the breeder i got him off had him on the pellets - twas me who swapped him onto mix. Which he was never fond of. :roll:

i agree with the attention thing. Far too many rabbits get forgotten outside in their hutch :cry:. But kizzy get the best of both worlds and when hes outdoors one of my 4 children(2 are not in school yet) are always popping out and he runs to them for a stroke :rolleyes:. Then at 3.30 he comes in and is able to get attention from me and the all the children - He loves it best thought when they are all in bed and its just him and me -
Theres nothing nicer than snuggling up with a bunny at night :D

My house buns love being indoors and I love having them around. My all have constant access to hay and none have any teeth problems

oh don't get me wrong i love having kizzy indoors! its lovely! but as soon as the vet mentioned that 90% of her house rabbit visitors to the vets come with dental problems and digestive probs probably casued by lack of natural grazing etc i decided that a few hours outdoors on the garden wouldn't hurt and kizzy really loves it!

at 8.30 i go in and he comes to the cage ready for it to be opened!! he loves being outdoors running around .
When its windy he gets really skittish and dashes around like a mad march hare :lol:

ill try and get some video of him! its really funny.
I find i don't do much house work in the day as im forever watching him from the back room or out side with him! :D

but the breeder i got him off had him on the pellets - twas me who swapped him onto mix. Which he was never fond of. :roll:

Even more reason not to mess his tummy about suddenly ;) quick digestive and environmental changes are triggers for illness of the GI tract.

Some rabbits have guts of steel and are fine but having heard some horror stories about those that have not its not a risk I would take personally.

I have a very content rabbit next to me on the sofa at the moment, she spends all her life indoors and has free range when Im home and plenty of forages and chews in her cage when Im not.

Even more reason not to mess his tummy about suddenly ;) quick digestive and environmental changes are triggers for illness of the GI tract.

Some rabbits have guts of steel and are fine but having heard some horror stories about those that have not its not a risk I would take personally.

I have a very content rabbit next to me on the sofa at the moment, she spends all her life indoors and has free range when Im home and plenty of forages and chews in her cage when Im not.

Well kizzy seems fine on his pellets. in fact he adores them! BUT thanks to your advice i shall bare the slowly slowly change of diet for future bunnies (should i get anymore)

your bunnys sound so cute all snuggled up with you. Kizzy was put to bed a few minutes a go. :rolleyes:

Glad Kizzy is doing well. Have to say though that my bunny is less at risk indoors than out doors. Well live backed on to a farm so wild bunnies are around all the time as well as badger and foxes. I would hate him to get myxi and the weather is just too bad here to put him out. Natural grazing just isn't always best for every rabbit.

Natural grazing would be wonderful for all rabbits, but not all mine are naturally grazed as I have too many to let out in the garden. In my experience a lot of dental issues are congenital depending on breed, poor breeding etc....it isn't always down to a poor diet. I actually have house rabbits that aren't on 'natural grass' as in grazing, and their teeth are fine. It's all of my outdoor bunnies that have dental issues and they graze, eat meadow/timothy hay and readigrass! It's always best to make sure their back teeth are checked at least once a year. I just say this as it's wrong to assume that your rabbit will be have no dental problems just because he eats grass! Your vet should not have told you that.

I know you say you are happy with your vet, but to be honest any vet that tells you it's ok to change a young rabbits diet overnight is *not* a rabbit savvy vet, and I certainly wouldn't take my bunny to them! I've had bad experiences with vets who I thought were giving me the right advice and really didn't have a clue...and to the expense of my rabbits life.

Last edited:
i hear what you all say but what my vet advised me made total sense to me. Keeping a rabbit indoors is lovely as it gives them more attention and keeps them warm in winter (kizzy allowed the free run of the house in the evening and is kept in my conservatory at night) BUT i also think its essential for them to be able to graze and forage for food in the day time.
They are tough creatures with a thick fur coat to keep them warm. Even if they get soaking wet outside in the day they won't come to any harm as they are brought in the warmth for the night and not left out in the damp all night.
I rub kizzy with an old towel if he is wet when i fetch him in at 3.30. He loves it! :D

If rabbits were so tough they wouldn't have such short life spans in the wild. If you feel you are doing your best for your bun then that's fine. I certainly wouldn't leave Buster outside to get a good soaking because they can get respiritatory infections from that.

I think it's nice that your rabbit gets to go outside all day. My summerhouse bunnies do too, but there are lots of places in my garden to provide shelter and they have the sense to take cover if it does rain. If they stay out in the rain I wouldn't allow them out because for all rabbits have 'thick fur coats', the under hairs are unable to dry naturally at a quick rate, even of you dry the top coat of the bunny they will still be damp and it can make them ill. If your bunny does get soaked through then you should really dry them with a hair dryer at a low temp to make sure they are completely dry. Rabbits are not like cats and dogs or even us! they can't regulate their body temperature.

kizzy has a shed an outdoor hutch and a little hut to choose from for shelter but he seems to prefer grazing in the rain :lol:
I love towelling him dry too and i would never let him stay out all night in the cold and damp after a day out. That would be just cruel.

i do love my rabbit. i just think its better for him to be out all day in the garden to graze and run etc.

:D

Back