• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do about rain and runs?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering how on earth you all cope with the rain and letting the bunnies out for exercise. I can't seem to find a good solution for me and the girls. They love being on the grass, but in this weather, it is unpractial. They hate being on the concrete/rubber mats, but it is better standing in water than in mud. So, do I sacrifice the girls' happiness for practiality and health? What do you all do in this weather?

Tilly's the only one outside atm and I've put a tarpaulin over the run, I've got plastic sheets coming down some of the sides too. It means she can go out whatever the weather 'cos it stays nice and dry inside.

Two of my bunnies live in a dog kennel/run.In the winter months i cover the front of the run with perspex.Ideal as they are dry and can see out.
My other two are in a shed with an attached run.I cover the top of the run with lino and two sides with perspex.Doesn,t keep the run totally dry if the rain is blowing in but it only ever gets damp.

I am having real trouble keeping the rain out of their runs, despite the fact that they are covered in tarpaulin, any advice would be fab.

I hate the rain so much, its a complete nightmare, and as a result opal has fur loss around her feet :(

Mine generally go out everyday rain or shine, but the grass was actually waterlogged this morning, so I decided to leave them where they are(their hutch has a run attached anway). However, now that the sun's out I think I'll go and put them out for an hour or two as it's better for Floss's hocks to have some time on the grass. I cover about a third of the run, icluding one side, when it's threatening rain so they have a sheltered area, but invariabley they can be seen grazing in the exposed part! Hail, and torrential rain's about the only thing that drives them under cover:lol:

I keep mine in till it's dryish - they never go on grass anyway so the patio does dry out a bit - the grass is like a swamp at the moment :? If they have big accomodation it's OK to keep them in for a day or 2 - most mine have been shut up was last May when it rained solid for 3 days :roll:

I'm presuming you're talking about runs to keep rabbits in, rather than the diarrhoea..........

........but u never can tell with u lot!

I use all kinds of stuff to try to beat the rain.....but on days like today when we have a force 8 gale blowing, it's a hopeless situation! I have tarpaulins over some, plastic sheeting stapled down where it is high enough to not be chewed through the wire, and I also use those corrugated clear roof sheeting panels on some of my runs. They don't stay completely dry.....and quite a few of the buns seem to get some sort of weird enjoyment out of sitting out in the rain no matter WHAT I do!!! :roll: :lol:

Mine are tarped up too but as they are on uneven slabbing the rain tends to run underneath so its very rare they are totally dry in this weather.

I just play it day by day and the weather also determines which rabbits can go out.

Mine are in a large pen in a shed so I don't feel too guilty if they have to stay in ( which is usually only if its lashing down and blowing a gail). Today it was threatening rain but my lawn was also water-logged and tbh I don't think they like getting muddy! :roll: So I just let them loose in the yard which is stones and paveing slabs.

Back