• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet feet and fur loss - very concerned

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I was checking all the buns over and noticed Opal had very wet feet, and her hair had gone all curly, so i was checking and i moved her fur apart on her feet and there looks like there is some fur missing, and i can see the pink bit of her foot, and the ball of it. Is this common?

I hope someone knows what i am talking about.

Anyway i am very concerned now, and i dont know what to do.

The bunnies runs are getting very wet even though they are covered in tarpaulin, i am not even sure how the water is getting in, but i am very worried. I dont know how to keep the water from getting in.

is it their hutch or their run that they're getting wet in?

Its their run... the hutch is dry but they have a tendency to wee and poo in their hutch (hence there being two huge litter trays in there). They are on concrete, i have put some hay down now, could that be the solution.

Will her fur grow back on its own or does she need vetinary treatment?

I'm not sure as I have no experience of this - but I guess if they have dry flooring it will go back to normal - my rabbits have barely been out of their hutches today as they hate getting wet feet - Do your's have some big litter trays in the run too, so they can sit somewhere dry?

I've had that happen before during really wet weather. I took the bunny and her partner into my garage where they couldn't sit in wet, and kept an eye on her feet.

I applied sudocrem to her feet a couple of times, but after the feet dried you couldn't really see where the hair was missing.

If you don't have access to a shed or garage, then perhaps you could limit access to the run?

Amy

They have a giant hay box but for some reason they prefer to sit in a puddle (slight exaggeration). This might sound silly but would sand bags keep the water out??

I've had that happen before during really wet weather. I took the bunny and her partner into my garage where they couldn't sit in wet, and kept an eye on her feet.

I applied sudocrem to her feet a couple of times, but after the feet dried you couldn't really see where the hair was missing.

If you don't have access to a shed or garage, then perhaps you could limit access to the run?

Amy

I do have a spare two-tier thistle hall hutch which is currently not in use (due to my guinea pigs being in my mam and dads garage), which could be lined with megazorb and would keep her feet dry. I am concerned that Polos feet are going to go the same way. I dont like not letting them have freedom to run about you see. Polos feet are not nearly half as bad as Opals... as she likes to sit in her hutch which is crammed with hay, obviously her feet are getting dry by her sleeping in there. They could do with some bunny slippers couldnt they?Now theres something i should put to those on dragons den.

Yeah, it's a question of the lesser of two evils really. On one hand you don't want them to get wet, but on the other hand they need exercise. Lack of exercise can actually contribute to sore hocks as well, so you need to find a compromise.

I personally wouldn't leave them with their current set-up whilst the weather is bad because sore hocks can be really difficult to get rid of once the skin is broken or ulcerated. In extreme cases it can even displace the tendon in the hock, and lead to permanent disability or even PTS. :(

Amy

I find that all my rabbits do is run about for 5 mins then sit for 2 hours anyway - really you can exercise them in shorter sessions when the weather's bad, just at odd times - like I let mine out for 20mins last night when the patio had FINALLY dried, at 10pm, when they'd normally be covered up, just so they'd had had a run out - this weather's a pain :roll: My rabbits really hate getting wet feet - the girls wouldn't even leave the shed this morning :?

Back