• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you trust anyone else with your rabbits?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I... don't. :roll: Not entirely, anyway.

I mean, do you trust other people holding them? Stroking them?

I'd answer a definite no to the first bit, a reluctant yes to the second. I only really let my mum do either, and each time she holds any of them I'm stood nearby. :oops: She's not very confident with them, though... and I've had to dart forwards and take hold of the bunny myself a few times to prevent he or she jumping from my mum's arms.

And what about cleaning them out? I swear Barney knows if I've not cleaned him out... :shock: His bed (i.e. his toilet area) must be arranged in a certain, specific way to his liking. The two times my mum did this for me (I had an abcess, and could not stand up straight as I was in agony) he completely trashed his entire hutch.

Or - a major point for me - when you have to go away for a night or so... and must leave the bunnies in someone else's care. Fear! Anxiety! What if they get sick and you're not there to care for them? What if they miss you? What if the other person left in charge of them accidentally allows them to escape, or eat something they should not... despite you're clear, illustrated instructions (oh, I acxtually did this :oops: ).

I'm really not half as paranoid as must come across... I'm just wondering if anyone else feels few people can be trusted around their long-eared bunny babies?

I don't particularly like other people holding them. I only allow my parents to hold them. I allow any responsible person to stroke them. I have to teach my parents how to clean out the way I want it cleaned out, but no-one else will clean them out. Basically, I only trust my parents in my rabbits care.

me and my daughter clean them out 2gether most of the time apart from when she is somewhere else,she is very good at the handling for 8 yrs.

Rick

I don't mind anyone stroking them but I hate people picking them up, I don't even like my hubby picking them up and he's very careful with them.

My nana picked Bertie up once he nearly fell out of her arms :(luckily my mum was there to save the day .

I wouldn't really trust anyone else to be honest.

Especially not with looking after them if I went away. I mean friends and family not proper boarding places. I'd worry constantly that if they got ill no one would know.

I'm just the same! Most of my friends are very animal savvy, so I don't mind them stroking or picking up the rabbits. My main issue is with younger children, even my friends 12 year old sister makes me very nervous. She doesn't understand the buns don't like being picked up, and always tries to interfere.

We are going away this weekend and I do really trust the friend that is coming round, but I will still worry!

I trust my most of my immediate family with my rabbits because they're either old enough and sensible enough to handle and treat them properly or because like me they've grown up with rabbits so know how to look after them. I am a bit wary of my two little step brothers who are only 10 and 11, so I let them play and stroke the bunnies with supervision.
I also trust quite a few of my friends and neighbours, though anyone who makes a comment about rabbit stew gets crossed off the potential bunny sitters list.

i hate people holding my bunnies, I was forced to let my nephew hold honey, As soon as i passed honey to him he dropped his arms, good thing i was still holding her or he would of dropped her. I dont mind people strocking them, but def no holding.

as weve never had rabbits in the family, when people come to visit they admire from afar, noone has actually tried to handle Alvin he only makes his presence known if he wants to so he chooses who he says hello to..

going away Alvin comes with us, hes confident enough that travelling does not bother him, if however travelling upsets pearl the ONLY person i would trust to look after my babies would be Louise at hopper haven (doorkeeper on RU) she has said with plenty of notice she does offer boarding if she has space... Alvin has been there twice for bonding and pearl is a hopper haven rabbit so i have 110% confidence they would be well looked after.....

I let people stroke them if I'm there but not hold them (unless they're sat on the floor and bunny can hop off when they want).
Only people that pick them up are me, my sis and my Mum, don't trust anyone else. If I go away for the night my Mum looks after them but I still worry that she may miss something :oops:

My stepsisters always helped out with the rabbits, feeding, cleaning out, having them out in the run etc - not so much now as they each had their favourites of the ones I lost. But at 8 and 10 they were perfectly able to carry the rabbits to their run, feed them the right amount, etc.
My mum or brother looks after the animals if I'm away for a couple of days and I trust the too. They may not be "experts" but everyone starts out owning pets with no original experience and plenty of people do fine! My vets are good so I just tell them to take anyone looking slightly off colour in - I'd rather it be a false alarm than not

Mine seem to decide who they will let stroke them and goo luck to anyone who tries to pick them up :lol:

Because they are all in my flat they will just run away if they are being stroked and get bored and because they aren't keen on being picked up they run away then too so its not a problem.

I'll let people pick Poppy up because she's happy being cuddled but only people who are confident and know how to handle rabbits are allowed to pick Charlie up because he will nip when he's had enough and will scrabble if you ignore his warnings. I'll let anyone stroke them though, even my little cousin will have a stroke, she always wants to hold them though but has been taught that she's not allowed, so I'll hold one for her or let her give them some pellets and have a stroke at the same time, she is obsessed with Charlie. My auntie has her own rabbit and has taught my cousin how to treat them, their rabbit now goes and flops by her and loves being stroked which is really cute.

i dont mind people holding my rabbits i have a habit of standing over their shoulder though making sure their handling them right and that the rabbit isnt scarred etc. lol but when i go on holiday next il b looking into an experienced rabbit owner to look after my rabbits since last year my rabbits were basically neglected when i was away. i think im far to trusting :(

I don't like people holding my bunnies, although I'm fine with my partner picking up the youngest one because she's the easiest to handle. I wouldn't like it if he picked the oldest one up :oops: I would worry that bunny would kick about and wriggle, and my partner would drop him :oops: I absolutely hate it when people come to my home and pick my bunnies up without asking, and if they ask I say no :lol: But I don't mind anyone stroking them, I just say that if they do anything bunny doesn't like - he can bite :lol: I'm wondering what I shall do in the holidays when I'm vacation for a week, I will worry sick! :oops: Haven't decided yet who I'm going to ask to look after the buns..

I get my mum to look after my buns if I stay out over nite but I hate it!
I don’t let her pick them up and I leave strict instructions about what food they can have.
I worry like mad about the bun yuns.
Its funny isnt it but they're like my little babies...

I let anybody hold most of my buns (well adults anyway).

A couple of my buns are prone to doing sudden death defying leaps out of your arms, so I don't tend to let other people hold them.

I don't really trust other people to look after them tho', especially after I went on holiday and left the buns in the care of my Mum, and Daisy had a retrobulbular abscess when I got back. My Mum just thought she had a weepy eye :cry:

Amy

I've let my parents look after my rabbits many times when I've been away or on holiday. The first time (it was just Barley then), I wrote a long list of "how to do things" including photos to show how much hay they need! Their main fault is that they don't provide enough hay - doesn't matter how many time I tell them they seem to be cautious on how much is given...!

As far as stoking goes anyone is welcome - but I would be concerned about Barley jumping out of hutch / shed etc. Again as long as they know how anyone can pick up Barley... he doesn't mind being handled so it ok! Dolly was more nervous about this being handled so I prefer to do this myself! (e.g. when my boyfriend stayed for the weekends he would help with Barley and I would do Dolly myself).

My Dad often cleans out the litter trays and sweeps the runs (even if I've not asked - just come home from work and they are done), I don't mind, he's not cuddly with them, can't do them any harm :D

Friends I would judge on how confident they are with animals! My sister I wouldn't let anywhere near them... even our ultra friendly... loved a cuddle... would let you put him down... cat looked petrified when she tried to pick him up and I'm not surprised! :lol: If Barley tried to escape she wouldn't stop him... she'd just jump back and squeal - helpful "not"... oh and she's the "older sister"...

Er... my reply went on a little... well.. a lot!!

H

Back