• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vetfone.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone ever used this service?

Vetfone is a 24 hour, 7 day per week helpline, staffed exclusively by RCVS qualified Vet Nurses. Similar to NHS direct it takes calls from pet owners who are worried about their pet. This service is available to owners of a broad range of pets (dogs, cats, rabbit, exotics) but not large animals. Vetfone offer two lines as follows: By the minute: Call 0906 500 5500 and be charged £1.50 per minute. Vetfone say the average cost of an 0906 premium rate call of 4 minutes is about £6.00, which is considerably lower than the average vet initial consultation. One off payment: Call 0845 057 2222 and pay a one off charge of £9.50 by credit card. Alternatively please call your local vet.

If so was it any good?

Seems a bit expensive because if a bun is ill then all they're going to say is that you need to see a vet

I agree. Also, what are the odds on a Bunny Savvy Vet Nurse being on t'other end of the phone.............:?
Perhaps its OK for general advice but IMO if you are worried enough to phone them about your Pet, especially a Bun as they deteriorate so quickly, you would probably want the Pet *examined* rather than 'diagnosed' over the phone :?

Janex

Its really a service for when people want advice as to whether the animal should be seen or not and if it should be immediately or the next day. There are many owners who don't like to 'bother' the vet out of hours, and prefer to speak to another qualified professional about their pets health.

Its really a service for when people want advice as to whether the animal should be seen or not and if it should be immediately or the next day. There are many owners who don't like to 'bother' the vet out of hours, and prefer to speak to another qualified professional about their pets health.

Owners should not be concerned about "bothering" an out of hours vet in the event their animal may be ill. After all this is their job and they receive plenty of reward for the inconvenience.

Although I would say it is a good service for a second opinion on the severity of the case :thumb:

I think my sister called regarding one of her cats once and it was a good service she received... although because of rabbits' delicate nature I would be skeptical :?

Yes, I quite agree but it happens. OOH visits are expensive, and if an owner wants some advice first before paying to see the vet, it is a useful alternative.

Back