• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello, advice please

Ambo74

New Kit
Hello, I'm new to this forum so I hope I am posting it in the right place.

I live in South Wales and we had two bunnys called Honey and Charley (sisters), which we have had since they were babies. Unfortunately Charley passed away last weekend. Honey is left on her own now.

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice as to what is the best thing to do now. Honey is 5 now and is an outdoor rabbit. She is un neuteured and quite a laid back little bunny. So, my question is really, should I be looking at getting her some company and if so, should I go for doe or buck? I would definatley get a neuteured bunny but will that make a difference as Honey is not neuteured.

Hope someone can help me. I have a broken hearted 6 year old boy as well :cry:

awww I'm sorry you've lost Charley :cry: Is there any possiblility of Honey being a house rabbit now?

Get honey spayed and then you could think about getting a freind for her ,a buck might be best,has she had vacs if not you will need to do that..

Rick

A neutered male would be best .
getting your bun spayed would make bonding her with another easier and it also prevents does getting uterine cancer .

if you can find a rescue they could bond them for you as its not always straightforward .

Shell definatly miss company...watch out for signs of her pineing :(

Definitely go for a neutered buck. Is she a hormonal rabbit? If she acts territorial it maybe hard to bond them on her territory. You could take her to a rescue where she could choose a male she gets on with on neutral territory.

Most people on the forum have spayed their female rabbits (although not all of them) It's usually considered better for the rabbit as the chances of getting uterine cancer is very high in females over 3 years old.

Thanks all for your quick replies.

I did consider having Honey as a house rabbit but don't think the 2 cats we have and the one that has adopted us would be too impressed...lol She actually has a nice big two story hutch in the garden with a large run attached (about 5ft x 6ft) so she wouldn't have the space in the house as she does outside.

We do have a local sanctuary very near here so I will probably pop up there during the week and have a word with them as well and see if they have any males they need rehoming and if they would be prepared to do the bonding.

In the meantime I will see about getting Honey spayed.

Thanks again

hope you find her a friend ....and hope your little boy gets over it ...
so sad to lose a bun:(:(

just a word of warning ...
if you decided not to spay your girl (not everyone agrees with it ) then make sure any male you put with her has been neutered at least 6 weeks ...or he could still be fertile ;)

Lovely thanks. So, can I take by that, that it is not essential to get Honey spayed before getting her a friend as long as the buck has been spayed for more than 6 weeks?

not essential but in the case of females after age of 5 80% die of uterine cancer i sadly lost one in the past. you do not have to spey but it does also calm hormones so you will find that bonding will be less stressul( some rabbits will bond un speyed but usually not or if they do then its hard hard work and injurys more likely)

Back