• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big decision....

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
I've made a big decision. After trying to bond my four bunnies since before christmas I'm throwing in the carrot. There haven't been any nasty fights but Darcy just won't accept Frasier and Annie. Its gotten calmer but Darcy goes for them whenever they come to me. Its just not fair on Annie and Frasier. Beatrix has bonded with them and Darcy but he still won't have it!:roll::(

So I've ordered some chicken wire off ebay and as soon as it arrives I'm going to thread it thru the baby gates and then separate the two pairs. They will have half the flat each both with one really big room. Darcy & Beatrix the living room and Frasier and Annie the bedroom.

Of course this means getting another bunny play castle so they all have one!!:lol:

I am dissapointed but since I've made this decision I feel a lot happier. I think I've given it a real go.

:wave: i know how you feel except i now have one bunny on her won and the others as a trio.....very upsetting. mine were bonded but during new years eve bif unbonded herself from willow and even went for bertie and bandit. now all 3 have turned their backs on her too..very very sad.

good luck to you.

Well done for putting their happiness first, I think it's sometimes too tempting to try too much to bond groups after the success some members on here have but it's important to remember that in the wild rabbits would have acres of land to share and the main reason they get along is because they want to make rabbit babies with each other :lol: When I tried bonding my trio with my pair I knew it wasn't going to work, the pair were much too jealous of the other getting attention, and I suppose I was lucky enough to have 3 males as a trio in the first place without pushing my luck to 4 males and a female!

I'm SURE your buns will be very happy as two pairs!!!:D And no one can EVER say that you didn't try.....you have stuck with it for SO long! Sometimes it's just not meant to be. I think you have made the best decision, both for the buns AND for yourself! :D :D

Romy I agree with you giving up 100% because at the end of the day they are obviously happier as 2 pairs and are you bonding them as a 4 for you or for them kinda thing. I say 2 pairs happy is better than a forced bond of 4 :D

I am going to try ONCE and once only lol to bond all 6 of my bunnies at Tree's but Poppet I do not think will accept this but at least I have tried once.

Thanks for the support guys. Yeah I wanted bond all 4 as then they would have the maximum space of the entire flat for all of them. Its annoying as three are bonded but Darcy is only bonded with Beatrix and won't accept the other two.

When they are separated is when they hurt eachother the most. Pushing noses thru baby gate space and getting bitten etc. Thats why I have to wait for the chicken wire to arrive before I can separate them!

I have to admit I'm really looking forward to no more bonding!!:D

My hat goes off to all you miracle workers that have a large groups together!! Either that or they are just not as stubborn as my Darcy bun!! :D

Can't really add anything new but repeat what everyone else has said - well done for giving it a go and surviving ! :shock::lol: I was gripped by your threads but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Animals do what they want right? :roll::lol:

The reason I tried to bond them twice is because I attempted bonding the 4 in the bedroom first. That didn't work out but I was advised that doing it in the kitchen, a much smaller space, would be more successful. I left it for many months keeping them as separate pairs before I tried to bond again in the kitchen.

When I first adopted the girls it took over a month for Darcy to accept them so I was prepared to wait at least 2 months for a 4 way bonding knowing Darcy. But its not to be. There have been moment at the vets and travel to the vets in the buggy that Darcy and Frasier have groomed eachother and snuggled but thats totally forgotten the minute we get home sadly...

OOh I can't wait for separation day now and have lots of bunny play and snuggles in every room!! :D

Can't really add anything new but repeat what everyone else has said - well done for giving it a go and surviving ! :shock::lol: I was gripped by your threads but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. Animals do what they want right? :roll::lol:

:lol::lol:My lot rule the roost thats for sure!! :rolleyes::lol:

Well done for sticking with it for so long hon, sorry it didn't work out but it sounds like you're relieved at the decision so good on you for making it. Sometimes it's just not meant to be and it's great you have a place that can easily accommodate two pairs and like you said more time and space to spoil them all ...... if Frasier ever wakes up ........ :rolleyes: :lol:

puddles next to the child gate

I suspect you are right to 'give up' - I have an 'original' houserabbit pair and then have ended up with a second pair in the house as well (as ran out of garden space!)- but have never even tried to bond them as just know the original male would go bezerk. However - once you have chicken wired the child gate beware that there will be endless spraying encounters at the barrier and piles of territorial pooh.

I have ended up with two child gates (actually I use the higher dog gates - as at 4ft they are less likely to get over: available cheaply from Argos) - They are placed about 3ft apart but one in hallway and at right angles across a doorway with a 'no rabbits land' in between. This means they do not get so incensed at the sight of each other as they can only 'glimpse' round the corner - and cannot try and spray each other through the wire.

Also I have had quite bad scratches and nose bites between rabbits even through wire in the past - so a 'no rabbits land' makes sense if you have room to do it.

Just a tip.

As you know, I had to give up with Sunnie and the others, too. But she is so much happier with her own friend now. I think it will be the best thing for your bunnies, too. They still have enough space and get spoilt rotten. :lol:

Sorry it didn't work Romy, you must be disappointed. :( Well done for trying for so long - at least you know you gave it a really good go and have made a decision that puts your bunnies happiness first. :D

I shall be bonding again in February - when Sambuka arrives. :roll:

Maria x

Back