• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mud in winter!!! ARGHHH!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
My run is 5ft x 5ft. It is getting extremely muddy from the downpours we've had over the last few weeks. The girls are coming back into their hutch with muddy feet and I don't think it can be good for their hocks. Do you think a bigger run would make a difference? I moved them from concrete to grass again because the rubber mats just held the water in puddles and the girls just came back with wet feet. They were also miserable on the concrete and they are much happier on grass. I just don't know what to do about this mud problem. We have a very big lawn but after the run has been on the grass for a few days, it's already a mudbath. We don't have enough space to move the run every few days. Please help with any suggestions. Thanks.

Move house? Seriously I used to live in Eastcote just round the corner from you and our back garden was the same. Its the layer of London clay under the soil which means the rain has nowhere to go so it just turns to mud.

Other than that - is it possible to get fake grass like astroturf but softer?

Could you put some straw down to soak up the water so they aren't standing in it?

On the grass or the concrete/rubber mats? We have a gently sloping grass area so would this be better as then the water could drain off the side, rather than stay in one place?

Hi, can you not put something over the run to stop it getting wet. I cover mine with clear plastic when it rains, they still get air through the front and sides but aren't then sitting on wet straw. I have mine on concrete but have put in a false floor as the concret was getting too wet. They are now nice and dry, as long as we don't have gales anyway! Less cleaning out as well as the straw/hay isn't getting wet every day.

We have roofing felt over two-thirds of the run. Do you think I should put roofing felt over the whole roof? Would this be ok in the summer too?

Hi
Just put something tempory over the run when it rains or rain is expected and remove it when not. Takes a bit of time but better than them being soaking and sitting in wet (as they will not move to the dry area). Worth a try.

Back