• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

holiday boarding?

bunlover

Warren Veteran
hi wondered what u lot think. was thinking as we all love bunnys and im sure most of us would like a hol but would be worried about people we didnt know looking after them, if anyone would be interested in setting up a directory of members on here who would be willing to go either to home of bunny to feed and care. or to have someone elses bunny stay with them while they away with other members of ru.(obviously home checks could be arranged and previous meetings?)

then you could come on ru... look up a local to you ru member and see if they available for bunny sitting (if they have a drive to you could just do cost of petrol for them) it would save expensive boarding and allow you to know they in safe well knowledgable hands? obviously no insurance would be provided and this sevice would be only between the bunnys owner and the ru member.therefore no contract would be needed and no money would be exchanging hands. all care itinery would be discussed with owner/carer and an arrangement with local vets could be possibly made so that if treatment was needed your vet would go ahead but that you could pay upon return(heaven forbid this should happen)

what do you guys think good idea or bad idea?

I think it is a good idea. I have two groups of bunnies now, so it is quite difficult to find holiday boarding, especially at short notice. It's also less stressful for the bunnies if they don't have to move. Although Sunnie and Cloud would not mind being in the dog crate with someone else, I think.

I think it's a good idea. As I have a group I have to have people come to my house. I get friends or my Dad to do it, but I always worry they'll forget something. I haven't been able to find a pet sitter in my area.

i hope i not offended anyone who does board!! still was thinkin it would save some of the hassel out of it and some areas do not have a lot of boarding facilitys.

No, why should it offend anyone? If someone offers boarding, they could advertise it in the same thread then. We always drive 45 minutes one way to take our bunnies to the boarding place. It is excellent, but usually booked months or even years in advance. I would love to go on holiday in August, but they are completely full then. There are definitely not enough boarding places for bunnies.

Does that mean because we charge that we'd be ruled out? Just because we talk via typing on here doesn't mean we necessarily know them any better than taking them to a stranger at a boarding establishment. Any decent one would gladly let you visit too so you can see them in operation and get to know them, see their facilities and ask questions etc. Would you go to the same trouble of meeting up with and going to have a look around the house of the person from here who might look after them for you. Would you rather put them in a boarding establishment where there is someone there all the time, or let them stay with someone from a forum who may be at work the majority of the day? Just a few things to consider.

Does that mean because we charge that we'd be ruled out? Just because we talk via typing on here doesn't mean we necessarily know them any better than taking them to a stranger at a boarding establishment. Any decent one would gladly let you visit too so you can see them in operation and get to know them, see their facilities and ask questions etc. Would you go to the same trouble of meeting up with and going to have a look around the house of the person from here who might look after them for you. Would you rather put them in a boarding establishment where there is someone there all the time, or let them stay with someone from a forum who may be at work the majority of the day? Just a few things to consider.

of course all good things to consider. i was thinking more where it is a long trek in a car for the buns to get to a decent boarding(we all know there are fab and awful ones!!) and of course i think that anyone considering letting someone else look after their pets meets the person in question and also and go to their house too. i dont think if u charged you would be ruled out just another option!!!i dont think its ness better but it could be in the case of that person can come to you (boarding the buns have to go to the place of boarders) also as i said previously some buns are very stressed by change and car journeys and a local person whom you could vet first is another option to minimise the stress

to the mods :
as the majority seem to agree this may be a good idea please can we have this put as a sticky as holiday boarding and people can add thier name location and whether buns can board with them or if will do a house visit and if yes what distance.(yes this inludes boarders you would not be excluded just cuz you charge just another option!)

Well worth checking with boarding places though too if someone who will give you a freebie isn't available cos some do actually do home visits and if you have lots of pets it can actually work out cheaper than boarding them;)

Good idea, its not always practical to get your rabbits to a boarding facility and some of them are a bit pricey or full up.

Well worth checking with boarding places though too if someone who will give you a freebie isn't available cos some do actually do home visits and if you have lots of pets it can actually work out cheaper than boarding them;)

not just that but a boarding facility is good as you say prev have all day 24/7 care. which is great but i know when my parents went away there was no real boarding facility we could trust with chelsea and so she had to travel to london to stay with me (not that i minded and we lucky as she is happy in the car so no stress done) but i know other rabbits would freak at long car journey and so if no local good boarders(like u) then a local person could help save the stress,

I know I have been looking all over the tyne and wear area for some one willing to have a couple of house buns for a short while, but to no avail! I even offer to provide enclosure and floor covering bedding food the lot! I would pay too if I knew they were getting attention every day. Its wierd but I have found it easyer to house the rats while I am on holiday than the rabbits. The cat just has my dad feed her and spoil her with treats but this is not enough interaction for the rats and rabbits.

So to get to the point, yes I am up for it. I have an outside hutch and run and could find temporary indoor space too.

sorry to throw in a spanner, but would there not be problems with the legal side such as insurance? i see what you mean in that you're basically treating it as if a friend was looking after them, but if you're going to list yourself on a public forum, it could get a bit tricky????:? what if a brand new member came along, saw the list and picked someone, but something happened to the bun in their care and they took legal action.

just something to consider :D

with boarding you dont need insurance. you can get it, but you dont need it to be. to cut a looong story short, its cus they r 'small animals';

oh ok! i am surprised! what if someone did make a claim or accusation like that? although i suppose it is the owners responsibility to check out the boarder and their facilities.

to save any of that then a form could be added to the sticky like a contract between the owner and the boarder that gets printed off and signed. nothing too offical just that by leaving the bunny there you trust the person looking after your bunny to provide the best possible care and that if it needs taking to a vet then the owner pays, id hate nothing more than looking after someone elses bunny and then having to pay myself if it got ill.

apart from that its a brill idea!!!!! kinda like a babysitting circle :lol::lol:

Back