• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded male pair fighting

kazzy26

New Kit
Does any one have a incident of the following:

Two bonded males, one a year old and castrated and 2nd male 3 months and recently castrated. Both were happily bonded cuddling together, washing, eating etc etc. for the last 3 months prior to castration and also for 5 days after the operation, unfortunatley on Thursday all war has broken out! I have tried a couple of times over the weekend with continued fights and rather than risk injury currently separated but both can sniff through the wire which they are frequently doing. Suggestion of the vet is to wait a further few weeks, say 4-5 till the testerone has hopefully subsided and reattempt bonding. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes I have had a similar situation. Your vet is giving you sound advice, as his hormones need to settle. Watch them though as they can injure each other through wires. Hopefully the fight was not too bad and they will forget and you can start to bond again. Unfortunately you will have to go back to square one with neutral territory etc. Its worth it though as if they get into a big fight i.e needing vet treatment then they may well not forget. Good Luck x

I had a similar problem with my 2. They fell out after the younger one was neutered. I've now re-bonded them but I kept them apart for 2 months first.
Good luck!

Back