• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns with dodgy tummies

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I'm having a dreadful time with the buns at the moment. Firstly there was Beastor's GI stasis, then Crunchie got the runs (and Crunchie has NEVER had GI problems before), now Casey has left some of her veg from last night. :(

I did a full clean and disinfect on Saturday, but I think I might have to get the bleach out. I have no idea where I can put the buns whilst the hutches are drying out tho' :roll:

Are anybody else's buns having similar trouble at the moment...or is it just mine?

Amy

oh dear Amy..hope the bunnies are feeling better soon.
If their diet has stayed the same..and they have been away from any new visiting bunnies..and not out in the wet/wind....then I can't say why they all have a problem at same time:? ..just bad coincendence..
hugs to you and fingers crossed for all the buns...if Casey needs to go to the vet let me know. xx

if Casey needs to go to the vet let me know. xx

Will do Jill.

I hope it is coincidence. It seems strange that none of the affected rabbits live together, or have been on the same patch of grass.

If any others get poorly I'll throw out any hay, straw and food...just in case.

Amy

When any of my Buns get tummy trouble I always check t'other end ie their teeth. If nothing in their diet has changed, you have a reliable foodstuff supplier with good quality and storage and your storage at home is mouse/rat/damp-proof then I very much doubt there is a pathogen in the midst. I am sure you are vigilant re cross infection from any Foster Buns you may have.

Hope all the Bunny Tummies get better soon

Janex

I've had 2 with stasis since Christmas - very very rare with my lot (happened once in 2yrs) - I put it down to the weather being so bad they're not getting as much exercise, plus I'm feeding them later in the morning as it's usually pouring down, plus the windy weather has spooked them a bit, which must affect their digestion. Also I guess there's more dirt and germs being trod into their living area from outside, and more to wash off their feet :?

Hope all your buns feel better soon.

I had problems with Tarquin over Christmas - couldn't find any reason for him to stop eating but it had me stressing for a few days. Have only just stopped obsessively counting the poos. :roll:

Hi,

I have also had problems with two of my six bunnies going through G I stasis and they don't live in the same environment, one of my house bunnies and one of my garden bunnies. I've never had GI problems with any of them before and their diet/routine has not changed. My friend is a brilliant rabbit vet, and she said it's been like this everywhere for some reason, with multiple rabbits from same household going into stasis for no apparent reason!

Hi,

I have also had problems with two of my six bunnies going through G I stasis and they don't live in the same environment, one of my house bunnies and one of my garden bunnies. I've never had GI problems with any of them before and their diet/routine has not changed. My friend is a brilliant rabbit vet, and she said it's been like this everywhere for some reason, with multiple rabbits from same household going into stasis for no apparent reason!

that's interesting as I've certainly noticed a lot more threads about it on the forum too :?

I wonder if it's something to do with the wet weather? Perhaps it's mould on hay/straw or bacteria and general gunk being spread about on shoes?

I might pop home at lunchtime to check that everybun's OK.

Amy

This is very odd, and I feel like I'm going to curse us all now, but it's not the usual suspects that are having troubles. By 'usual suspects' I mean me, and some others who have bunnies with recurring stasis problems. :?

This is very odd, and I feel like I'm going to curse us all now, but it's not the usual suspects that are having troubles. By 'usual suspects' I mean me, and some others who have bunnies with recurring stasis problems. :?

Automatically wondered how yours were when I read this Sarah :oops: Really hope all these poorly tums are better soon! :( X

Automatically wondered how yours were when I read this Sarah :oops: Really hope all these poorly tums are better soon! :( X

Aww... thanks! :) Must admit, I shouldn't have written on this thread though, as I was a bit worried about Dusty last night! Probably just being paranoid though.

Guinness has not been his happy chappy self either, he been moody and not eating all his veg, his poops are all soft too, had no hard ones yesterday which i was slightly worried about!

Hi,

It's bizarre, 2 of mine did the same within a week and all clear following a vet check. We put it down to stress of having a new bun in the house :?

I though I was going to have to take Poppy to the vets last night, she didn't want her dinner and was shifting about and looking uncomftable, this was about 11:00 at night so I kept getting up to check on her and after lots of tummy rubs she started eating at 5....I am rather tired today! Poppy does this quite often, usually if we have left the buns alone for the day :roll:

Buster has the constitution of an ox and he became anorexic last night. He seemed in discomfort so I gave him infracol wrapped him in a blanket. He picked up this morning and is nearly back to his old self but hasn't eaten many pellets. He is pooing properly now though and running around. He has never had any tummy troubles before. I really thought he was gonna die. No change to anything either and he is a housebun.

Aw, I hope your bunnies tums are OK soon.

I went through it for the first time at Christmas with Katy. I still don't know what could have caused it but I thought we were going to lose her. It was a really scary week.

Hope everyone's buns are feeling better soon! Wonder if it's the hay that's causing it? I've noticed that every bag i get is very different in texture. The last lot was very green and soft and the bag i have now is very thick and stalky :?

Back