• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeling like a rubbish bunny mum!

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
I have two unhappy girly buns :( I've just had to split them up because Jen kept on attacking Rhia & she was obviously scared & very stressed. No idea how Jen will cope now as shes only just getting by with Rhias help (re her being poorly/blind etc) and Rhia goes crazy without rabbit company, really breaks my heart to see her so desperately lonely. Thinking about getting Rhi a boy-bun, but its so not ideal. All the money I have is going, and will continue to go, on Jens treatment/Xrays etc. Spoke to Mum & she thinks its a bad idea because of the money situ. Dont know what to do?! :(

oh i dont know what to say hun but big big big hugs, you're not a bad mummy you're doing what you have to in the situation, you cant eave them to tear shreds out of each other xxxx ps what's wrong with bunny?

Sorry to hear about your situation. You're not a rubbish bunny mummy. You're doing the best you can of a bad situation. Are the girls indoors? If not, I'd bring them inside so they have your company. Maybe have the girls in sight of each other. Could think of getting a cuddly teddy for both girls. You could try to fundarise some money for the treatment for Jen. And still afford a boy-bun for Rhi.

Thanks for replies. Lionheadlover, Neither of them are interested in teddies unfortunately. Rhia isnt a people bunny either, Shes pining for Jen already :( I know in my heart she needs a friend...:( Jen cant live inside either as the central heating would make her snuffles worst. I can afford Jens treatment (Thanking my lucky stars that ive been sensible with money recently & got a few hundred put away for her treatment. Have already checked with a few people though that I can borrow from them if needs be) & thinking realistically, I probably could afford the general day-to-day keep of another rabbit...but then what if him or Rhia got poorly? I'd be right in the thick of it.
Nina, Not entirely sure whats wrong with her - She has a snotty nose & breathing troule (which vet thinks is pasteurella) and shes recently gone blind, theres something else suspected but we need the tests/xrays/scans etc done to find out that. Bunnies - Who'd have em?! :roll:

i dont if any rescue would agree to it, but what if you 'fostered' a long term bunny, i.e one that has been there for a long time, and then officially adopted him once you had the cash, as long as it wouldnt be a long time? sounds a bit random but you never know?x

Don't have any advice for you, but have had to split mine these last couple of days for health reasons so i know how you feel :cry:

Hope you can get something sorted and try not to feel too guilty your just doing what you feel is best which is all any of us can do.

sorry to hear things are not going too well at the moment but you are NOT a rubbish bunny mum. rhia and jen are lucky to have you

Aww Im So Sorry! x
Maybe, you could put them in cages next to each other, then when they get used to having each other side by side, and they cant fight, maybe then you could gradually put each one in each others cage/hutch...Make sure you are there to stop any commotion...Maybe that way they MIGHT get on??

Lol... Thats what a friend of mine did when her bunnies started fighting

You are NOT a rubbish bunny mummy. You are doing what is best for your little girls.

There are some good suggestions here and I can't offer any more. I really hope that they can work things out and maybe this is just a "phase" they are going through.

I am so sorry as it sounds such a really bad situation for you all. I think that you have done the best for them that you could. You couldn't have left them together if they were hurting each other. You don't want to have two ill rabbits. You'd feel even guiltier then. Maybe the suggestion above about keeping them side by side is a good idea. Lots of hugs to you.

Thanks for replies. Its always been an on/off friendship but I think this time I'm going to call it a day :( Jen was perfectly happy on her own before (when she was my 'foster bunny') so I think unless she makes a full recovery and becomes able to mix with other buns, I'm going to keep her single. As for Rhia, well thats what Im going to sleep on tonight... X

Back