• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance for bunnies?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Seeing as I have four now (oooh, the pride!) my mum mentioned looking into getting pet insurance for them, so that if in the event they were to get sick (hopefully they won't anytime soon...) they'd be covered. Anyone else have this for their bunnies and can tell me a bit about it? :oops:

I would just keep a contingency in the bank and not touch it as petplan and some others dont cover everything,thats what i do.

Rick

i have petplan for my two as im rubbish at saving money!

with more than one pet you get multipet discount, i pay £17 a month for two, some people pay £15 for 2 but they told me the age and breed of my buns bumped it up by £2.

it covers up to:

£2000 a year for vet fees
£750 a year for complimentry treatment
£250 a year for boarding fees (ie if i get admitted into hospital)
£250 a year for advertising and reward

edit: those are for each bun

i have petplan for my two as im rubbish at saving money!

with more than one pet you get multipet discount, i pay £17 a month for two, some people pay £15 for 2 but they told me the age and breed of my buns bumped it up by £2.

it covers up to:

£2000 a year for vet fees
£750 a year for complimentry treatment
£250 a year for boarding fees (ie if i get admitted into hospital)
£250 a year for advertising and reward

edit: those are for each bun

I've just taken that out after seeing how much Miffy's vet bill was on another thread, I'm not sure if I would if I had more than two rabbits though, the monthly fee would be considerably more for 4 rabbits I think I would be tempted to just have a vet fund.

I have 2 in pet plan and the other two uninsured.... figured i may change their name if they need treatment ....... :lol::lol::lol:

i am also with pet plan - its £10 per month with 2 months free, i think its a great idea to insure them and i cant save money either:oops::wave:

Ive read on here that insurance doesnt cover everything, dont know what it doesnt cover though because I have never looked at it :D

I just save, if I ever need it and its not enough I will just take out loan or get another credit card or something to pay it :lol: My vet lets you pay in instalments anyways

it wont cover:

illness or injury that showed signs before the insurance started
preventative care (ie vaccinations)
cosmetic work
fleas
food, unless prescribed for bladder stones
treatment related to pregnancy and birth
spaying/castration
emergency fees if it wasnt an emergency
hospitalisation unless recommended by the vet
trimming teeth
euthenasia
behavioural illness
cages
grooming
post mortem
transplants

you have to get vaccinations and dental checks to keep the insurance valid, if you dont get a dental check they wont pay for dental treatment

it wont cover:

illness or injury that showed signs before the insurance started
preventative care (ie vaccinations)
cosmetic work
fleas
food, unless prescribed for bladder stones
treatment related to pregnancy and birth
spaying/castration
emergency fees if it wasnt an emergency
hospitalisation unless recommended by the vet
trimming teeth
euthenasia
behavioural illness
cages
grooming
post mortem
transplants

you have to get vaccinations and dental checks to keep the insurance valid, if you dont get a dental check they wont pay for dental treatment

Is it okay for the dental checks to be done every 6 months when they are vaccinated, thats when mine get their teeth checked. I haven't got all my info through the post yet. One of the reasons I took it out is so that I can push for better/more thorough treatment if needs be and money won't be an issue.

they only need a dental check once a year. they only need injections once a year too, but its better for the bun to get a 6 month myxi if your area is bad

they only need a dental check once a year. they only need injections once a year too, but its better for the bun to get a 6 month myxi if your area is bad

Thats okay then, mine need their jabs at different times but they both go together and our vet checks them both, he's a nice guy. I get them done 6 monthly for peace of mind.

Petplan wont pay for dental treatment regardless of how often they have their teeth checked as dental problems are very common in rabbits, ours get their teeth checked every 4 weeks at the minute. Miffy's required 4 ops to have her teeth burred under GA in the last 5 months and we've had to pay for every one as petplan have refused to pay out. They've been great with everything else though and i'd rather pay £16 a month (for the 2) knowing that unless it's dental treatment it's covered, it's saved us over £1000 in the last year and we've had them covered from being 10weeks old!!! The dental treatment under GA costs about £70 a time except this last event which cost £395 due to complications and well them not discovering a huge spur at the back of her mouth til it cut into her jaw and was then only located through xrays leading us to believe it's been there since she was first unwell with her teeth in August.

Hmmm i've just read my terms and conditions and i'm gonna railroad petplan tomorrow coz it says they will pay if she's had her teeth checked and she's had them checked loads of times so i'm not impressed

Petplan wont pay for dental treatment regardless of how often they have their teeth checked as dental problems are very common in rabbits, ours get their teeth checked every 4 weeks at the minute. Miffy's required 4 ops to have her teeth burred under GA in the last 5 months and we've had to pay for every one as petplan have refused to pay out. They've been great with everything else though and i'd rather pay £16 a month (for the 2) knowing that unless it's dental treatment it's covered, it's saved us over £1000 in the last year and we've had them covered from being 10weeks old!!! The dental treatment under GA costs about £70 a time except this last event which cost £395 due to complications and well them not discovering a huge spur at the back of her mouth til it cut into her jaw and was then only located through xrays leading us to believe it's been there since she was first unwell with her teeth in August.

really?? i just read the policy document and it said it wouldnt pay unless you were getting them checked

I got quoted £25 each from pet plan and £100 a month really isnt affordable for me!!!

If anything major happens.. god forbid... thank the lord who invented the credit card!! But I like to think I keep my buns in tip top contition!!

This is helping. :wave:
Not entirely sure whether to go for insurance, or just put money aside monthly... but reading all these opinions does help! Keep 'em coming! :lol:

Back