• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing food from muesli to nuggets

cheryl21

Warren Scout
Following a revious thread, I have just looked up the bunny basics pellets - which are the right ones? on www.thehayexperts.com, there are two types. bunnybasics/T and bunny bascs 15/23. the 15/23 says its an alfalfa based nugget - i thought too much was bad for them. mine currently get muesli, but i wasn't aware could be so bad for them. I have decided to get them on nuggets but I want to be sure they get the best. I know this should be gradually introduced to them but am unsure how to go about it properly. They are both really fussy eaters and I'm not sure they're going to like this much!!

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Adult rabbits should have Bunny Basics T. Bunny Basics 15/23 is for young rabbits. This is really the best pellets you can give. You should introduce it slowly so it is not such a huge transition for them.

Taken from www.oxbowhay.com:

Bunny Basics 15/23 is an alfalfa-based pellet created especially for the specific dietary needs of the young or active rabbit. Alfalfa hay, which is the main ingredient, is used to provide an optimized, balanced protein source and contains the amino acids required for the growth and health of your rabbit

Bunny Basics/T is specifically designed to meet the particular nutritional needs of adult rabbits. Timothy grass hay provides the fiber necessary to maintain digestive health and makes Bunny Basics/T the exotic veterinarians' #1 choice for adult

Last edited:
Hi, I had a look on www.thehayexperts.com. they say the bunnybasicsT is fibre 29% and protein 14%.

I can see from threads on here that you definately know what you're talking about when it comes to bunnies - what food would you recommend? I want to get it right first time. I know it can take a while to get them used to it - I know Stella won't be happy!!!

I sam them on your pic the other day!!! How funny. I got Bud from a rescue centre - he was originally called Ron. I just could call it him - I have an Uncle Ron!! We thought Bud suited him. He was very nervous at first - he hadn't been treated well. But now he comes when you call his name!!! Your Stella and Bud look cute!!

I sam them on your pic the other day!!! How funny. I got Bud from a rescue centre - he was originally called Ron. I just could call it him - I have an Uncle Ron!! We thought Bud suited him. He was very nervous at first - he hadn't been treated well. But now he comes when you call his name!!! Your Stella and Bud look cute!!

they are cute but shes evil :(

my Stella used to be, before she was spayed!!! I knew it would calm her down but I cant believe the difference!!! She used to grunt and pounce all the time - even if i just went in to feed her!! Now she's a little angel!!! I think Bud has shown her who's boss!!!

i'm trying with the hay, I've put it in their litter tray, in racks. everywhere. they dont seem to eat much of it. Im asking around to see where I can get some good quality stuff, but I dont know anyone else in my area with rabbits. At the moment they get shop bought stuff, but there are so many different types, I'm unsure what is best.

I thought I was doing ok for them til I found this site! Im glad I did, otherwise, I could be harming them without realising.

All new food takes some getting used to. They will not starve themselves and probably eventually start eating the food they get. You can try making hay more interesting by mixing it with herbs or other greens.

I do not have acess to very much other than petshop hay, and my buns happily eats it. But I also sometime but the Oxbow hay. They have one basic hay and many other special and tasty types you can mix in. This helps to making the hay more interesting :)

Back