• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long of not eating is cause for concern?

kelzuna

Warren Scout
how long of not eating is cause for concern? liquorice getting castrated, tear duct flush and possible denatl on tues - i want to be as clued up as poss!!

:?:?:?:?

I would expect a buck to be eatin by the following morning following castration.

Chance was neutered and duct flushed last Tuesday and started eating as soon as he could wobble over to his bowl.

Chance had a local aneasthetic applied to his eyes even though he was under GA to minimise discomfort when he came around.

He had Metaclopromide and Rimadyl after the op and Baytril to take at home twice daily incase of infection in his tear ducts.

We provided him with Metacam for 3 days after the procedure on his eyes BUT because both Metacam and Rimadyl are NSAIDs they cannot be given together, we had to wait 48 hours after the Rimadyl to give any Meloxicam.

If Liquorice does not start eating the day after his op he may well need his pain relief topping up as pain is the primary cause of anorexia in rabbits. If your vets give an opiate based painkiller (such as vetergesic) post op he can have Metacam at the same time.

the vet said they would give him pain relief whilst in vets. i asked if he would need some post op to come home with and she said in her experience (very young by the way...i would say quite newly qualified) they didnt need pain relief afterwards, but if i wanted some i could?

what do u think? does that sound right?

the vet said they would give him pain relief whilst in vets. i asked if he would need some post op to come home with and she said in her experience (very young by the way...i would say quite newly qualified) they didnt need pain relief afterwards, but if i wanted some i could?

what do u think? does that sound right?

For a castration I would say no extra pain relief should be needed but as I said before, if he is not eating he is probably in discomfort.

Fo the ducts however Metacam is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller which means it can help minimise any reaction in the ducts post-flush resulting in swelling.

The swelling and inflammation is obviously painful but it also narrows the ducts and should any scarring occur this narrowing can be permenant thus exacerbating the problem long term.

This is why I hate to resort to duct flushing in rabbits.

For a castration I would say no extra pain relief should be needed but as I said before, if he is not eating he is probably in discomfort.

Fo the ducts however Metacam is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller which means it can help minimise any reaction in the ducts post-flush resulting in swelling.

The swelling and inflammation is obviously painful but it also narrows the ducts and should any scarring occur this narrowing can be permenant thus exacerbating the problem long term.

This is why I hate to resort to duct flushing in rabbits.

Should i ask her for some Metacam ? originally he only had one weepy eye (always had it) but the past month or so the other eye has started to weep

Should i ask her for some Metacam ? originally he only had one weepy eye (always had it) but the past month or so the other eye has started to weep

In my personal opinion, yes. Do check that he had an opiate based painkiller at the vets and not another NSAID such a Rimadyl before giving it to him though.

Back