• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What the hell just happened????

Lillian

Warren Veteran
me and mum were going to go to town and she said she had to clean the guinea pigs out first, so i went to get changed and the next thing i know mum comes running in shouting pennys dying (my guinea pig) i ran out to the shed and penny was laying in her hutch all floppy and gasping. My mum said she picked penny up and she let out a scream and started shaking then went floppy so my mum layed her back into her hutch. I picked her up, and stroked her and she gasped a few more times then stopped. She just died. What happened to her? shes not even a year old!! im in shock :cry: now her sister Ruby and my other guinea dandy have lost her. I can't believe it

Oh that is awful i'm so very sorry.I'm not much help for what could have happened but someone may come along with some more knowledge:(

oh that's sad :cry: I've lost 3 of my piggies in the past 6 months - without a PM you can't know why - could be heart problems by the sound of it?

So sorry to hear this. :( I'd suspect a heart attack. I had a pig that died suddenly (in that flopped to one side gasping way) myself, and I'm now sure it was a heart attack.

before i had my current 2 Guinea Pigs i used to have such bad luck with them i think i went through 5 Guinea pigs in 2 years 3 of them died under a year old no known reason although im blaming the fact i fed them iceburg lettuce :( had no idea this was bad for them until afterwards.

so sorry to hear about penny hun :cry:

thank you for the replies everyone, i just wish i could have done something to save her, it all happened so fast. I'm sorry for all of you who have been through the same thing. My mum thought it was a heart attack or a stroke, but when chloe my cat had a stroke in sept she lived all day that day until her body finally gave up. So its more likely to be a heart attack i suppose. poor little girl x

I have had many guinea pigs over the years and lost a few in this way. All were around the one year old age. Me personally thinks it might be a genetic defect, maybe re. the heart...

So sorry for you loss. Its never easy but when they go so quickly it is much more of a shock. Take comfort in the fact she did not suffer and you were there when she passed.

hi one of my piggies died today. she was over five and lovely. i knew it was going to happen any day but was really hard. it took her about an hour to finally give up and go to raindow bridge. popcorn free my beautiful Sammy:(

:cry:So sorry for your loss.
One of my piggies died whilst i was on holiday.She was only 1 year old:cry:The vet nurse who was looking after her said she thought it was a heart attack.

Back