• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice please

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
two weeks ago i adopted a neutered male dutch called Norman and a female Beatrix which is 7 months and not neutered from a lady who didnt have time for them.this evening i have gone to feed them and the female has made a nest and has a mouthful of fur and hay and she is trying to pick fur out of norman.what shall i do?please advise me,they love each other and i dont want to split them unless i have to.thanks
jackie

Sounds like hormonal behaviour, spaying will stop/prevent her from nest building, is he definitely neutered?

Is there any chance that she could be pregnant? When was Norman castrated? Has she only been with him?

As Norman has been "done" it's more than likely that she's having a phantom pregnancy and has built a nest. One of my foster bunnies, Kanga, did it pretty much constantly for the 6 weeks she was here. She needs to be spayed.

Provided you are absolutely sure Norman has been neutered then there's no need to take him out. But if she IS pregnant and he's the daddy, then you need to get him out ASAP otherwise she'll be pregnant again almost immediately.

Hope all that makes sense?

thanks for your reply Sarah,yes he was neutered at 6 months and he is now 13 months.Do i have to split them?she wont pull out all his fur or hurt him will she?she is always cuddled up to him and cleaning him normally.

thanks for your reply Sarah,yes he was neutered at 6 months and he is now 13 months.Do i have to split them?she wont pull out all his fur or hurt him will she?she is always cuddled up to him and cleaning him normally.

Can you get her spayed soon, it will aleviate her frustration, some people take them both to the vets when one of a bonded pair is neutered so that they don't fall out when one comes home smelling like the vets. I didn't have to do that though so hopefully someone else who has done this can give you some advice. Is she pulling his fur out to build the nest or is it occuring during a bit of fighting?

You shouldn't have to split them if he's neutered and chances are she won't hurt him. Best idea is to get her spayed so she won't engage in this kind of behaviour any more. Unspayed does commonly have phantom pregnancies. Take her to the vet anyway to check she's not pregnant just in case and get her booked in for her op.

Its quite normal for a hormonal girl to start nest building, both my girls did it at about 16wks - signalling time for spey. Doe's usually pluck their own fur to line the nest, sounds like you have an intelligent one there!! Daisy did the same, plucked Gabriel to line a nest she had built :shock::lol: If there is no chance she could be pregnant, i.e that she has not been in contact with any other bucks then there is no need to separate. I'd book her in for a spey as soon as poss though.

thank you all.I will ring my vet tomorrow as they are open until 1pm.She is chasing him round and round and trying to pull bits of fur off him but she has a mouthful of fur and hay which she is carrying as well as chasing him,he doesnt seem to be too bothered.I will ask if they can go into the vets together.I hope they will continue to get on well,she is normally the quiet one and she relies on him and sometimes hides behind him,they are normally so lovely to watch as they normally adore each other,but i know it is my fault for not getting her done,i was intending to,but i have only had them for two weeks and didnt want to unsettle them so soon:?

thank you all.I will ring my vet tomorrow as they are open until 1pm.She is chasing him round and round and trying to pull bits of fur off him but she has a mouthful of fur and hay which she is carrying as well as chasing him,he doesnt seem to be too bothered.I will ask if they can go into the vets together.I hope they will continue to get on well,she is normally the quiet one and she relies on him and sometimes hides behind him,they are normally so lovely to watch as they normally adore each other,but i know it is my fault for not getting her done,i was intending to,but i have only had them for two weeks and didnt want to unsettle them so soon:?

It's not your fault if you've only had them a couple of weeks!

She'll feel better when she's spayed and won't make nests or harrass Norman, good luck!

Back