• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hair Loss from pet shop bunny!! Should I buy bunny?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
This bunny has been at my work place for about two months now. He's for sale for £15 because no-one wants him. He started to lose hair about a month ago. There isn't any bald patches or anything, but he's just lost his top coat and his undercoat is left. I worry that someone will buy him and chuck him outdoors with no top coat. He's a very happy and healthy bun in every other way. Is his hair loss due to stress, do you think? I'm thinking of getting him and having him in my room. I have a spare indoor cage, so I could have him. He's the only animal that's been there for this long. I don't know what to do. He's a black male lop, not neutered. Probably not vaccinated. I think he may be like 4 - 6 months old.

Hi
This bunny has been at my work place for about two months now. He's for sale for £15 because no-one wants him. He started to lose hair about a month ago. There isn't any bald patches or anything, but he's just lost his top coat and his undercoat is left. I worry that someone will buy him and chuck him outdoors with no top coat. He's a very happy and healthy bun in every other way. Is his hair loss due to stress, do you think? I'm thinking of getting him and having him in my room. I have a spare indoor cage, so I could have him. He's the only animal that's been there for this long. I don't know what to do. He's a black male lop, not neutered. Probably not vaccinated. I think he may be like 4 - 6 months old.

If it was me and I could do it I would! But only if you sure you can! I'd have millions of buns if I had the room rescuing them from nasty pet shops!

i dont see why you shouldnt, he'd have a better life with you. Mayb you could speak to your bosses and offer him a home free of charge rather than buying him, if you explain that no one wants him and he isnt 100% healthy

yeah. i can afford another one and I have the space. He could have free range in my bedroom if I bunny-proof it which should be easy. I want to make sure he's not ill though, and would my girls be safe if he isn't vaccinated? He could be vaccinated straight away, but are my girls safe? In the spring, I would like to put him outdoors. I think my girls would be too friesty for him though. I don't know what lop he is, could be dwarf lop.

This rabbit looks exactly like him, just his coat is different, so he's possibly a mini lop.

http://www.amethystrainn.com/Simone/simone_groom.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like he needs checking by a vet. Rabbits don't lose hair because of stress unless they pull it out themselves. The top coat (guard hairs) are mixed it with the undercoat, honestly I can't think why he would loose just the top hairs. Mights, self mutilation etc. would all effect both types of hair.

Tam

yeah. i can afford another one and I have the space. He could have free range in my bedroom if I bunny-proof it which should be easy. I want to make sure he's not ill though, and would my girls be safe if he isn't vaccinated? He could be vaccinated straight away, but are my girls safe? In the spring, I would like to put him outdoors. I think my girls would be too friesty for him though. I don't know what lop he is, could be dwarf lop. I'll try and find a piccie of a rabbit that looks similar to him.

Then take him and post pics, book him straight in for a check-up at the vets, you could combine it with a vaccination, does he look like my black lop (in signature)? When one of mine is being vaccinated I take both along and our vet checks them both over free of charge.

He looks very alike to Poppy.

She's a dwarf lop but more a small-medium size, this might give a rough idea of size.

SP_A0045.jpg

He's a bit bigger than that. I think he is dwarf lop. As I don't think I'll be able to bond him with my girls, do you think I should get him, get him to full health and then in the spring, rehome him? He would need to be outdoors so it's not really fair for him to be lonely.

You could do that, at least then you'd know what kind of person was going to take him on and you'd know he was in a good home.

have your parents agreed?? if so go for it if your prepared to let him go when the time comes i know i wouldnt....:oops::oops:

Will you have to pay for him? I'd only take him if he was a freebie, and try to get the petshop to at least cover a vet checkup - I'm sure it's illegal to without vet treatment from an ill animal and he's currently their responsibility. You're also not allowed to sell sick animals (which is why PAH put them up for adoption instead :roll:)

what makes u say u cudnt bond him with your girls? you never know, i wud get him checked over by a vet, vacc, neutured and then see :D

Back