• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chipping

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Following on from Budabuns post about finding a rabbit with collar and tag, just wondering how many of you have your buns chipped? I had my cats chipped when I had them but not thought about the buns .....

Our local RSPCA runs free chipping events, Im waiting for them to extend this beyond cats & dogs to get ours done.

As yet I have to say Im not too sure what the chances are of them actually being scanned should they be found.

Our local RSPCA runs free chipping events, Im waiting for them to extend this beyond cats & dogs to get ours done.

As yet I have to say Im not too sure what the chances are of them actually being scanned should they be found.

Thats what i wondered....

I have one of mine done, getting the lady done in Feb when she has her 6 monthly Myxi, as my vet gives a discount if you have it done same time as a jab :D

Ive had my rabbits identichipped ever since they first came into use.
I know plenty of surgeries that do and some rescues/wardens that do but it seems that many rescues don't have a scanner which is a shame :(
the identichip companies should give them all a freebie :D

Ive had my rabbits identichipped ever since they first came into use.
I know plenty of surgeries that do and some rescues/wardens that do but it seems that many rescues don't have a scanner which is a shame :(
the identichip companies should give them all a freebie :D

Perhaps some rescues should try arranging this, maybe have a day of discount chipping at a rescue open day and the rescue gets a free scanner - all good publicity for the identichip company!
I'd never heard of vaccinating rabbits when I first got them but it's done more and more often now, so if people get involved with microchipping it might become more the norm/expected thing

Perhaps some rescues should try arranging this, maybe have a day of discount chipping at a rescue open day and the rescue gets a free scanner - all good publicity for the identichip company!
I'd never heard of vaccinating rabbits when I first got them but it's done more and more often now, so if people get involved with microchipping it might become more the norm/expected thing

Exactly! :D

My vets will do a free scan on any stray that is brought to them so it does not cost us not to have a scanner but of course it would be easier to do it ourselves.

Ginger, Shadow and Jacob are chipped as they are from the RSPCA but none of the others and my fourth RSPCA bun isn't chipped - think it depends which centre you adopt from.

Mine aren't chipped, mainly because like other posters, I'm not sure they would ever be scanned if they were found.

However, my vets does microchips that also take the temperature of the pet, so they just need to be scanned (not stuck with a thermometer). This I am thinking of doing.

Back