• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chewing cage bars

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Is there anything I can do to stop sorrel chewing the bars of her cage at night? I am exhausted, getting no sleep at all because of the noise!

I was worried she might be bored but she has loads of toys and hay and a furry toy cat which she loves to groom and snuggle with :roll: so I don't really know what else I can do.

Thankyou

When i first had Simba he did that alot at night.. like a hamster!!! Since he had a much bigger area he just stopped doing it and then of course he got Nala so i dont know if it was cos he wanted to get out, was bored, or wanted company that he did it. I tried putting wood things in for him to chew but nothing worked til we moved :? Sorry thats not much help is it :?

Liquorice only used to do this when i went in the room to get my attention - do you both sleep in same room?

Maybe she saying 'hello im here!!!!!!!'

we got rid of the wire on the baby gate because of this reason and swaped it for clear perspex..................wouldn't recomend it though. Now sooty plays the drums on the perspex.

Ours is a house rabbit and although she has a cage, she just uses this for wee's & poo's, on the rare occasions were we've had to close her in the cage she does chew it like mad but I think this is down to her being used to having the run of the house ! At night we close her in the kitchen where the cage is kept.

In summer when we put our rabbits out in the hutch Smudge always chews her bars. I think its because we've put her to bed too early in her opinion.

At the moment she has a habit of chewing the bedroom door because she wants to get in there and we have said that is the one bunny free room (poop free)....

She's probably either bored or frustrated. Making a larger area by adding a pen might help otherwise you'll need to be more creative with her toys/food. Remove her food bowl and make her work for all her food. Hide it in boxes, put it in a treat ball, make parcels with paper etc. Hang up her veg with pegs.

Rabbits get bored of toys if they have the same all the time so rotate them.

Tam

Back