• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Syphallis UPDATE Lucy as gone to the Bridge

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
The six giants I took in off here just over a week ago, well the French lop theat I am keeping came with syphallis and we have just been to the vets for her second penicillin jab and we have had to do yet another swab as it looks worse than last week.

Last edited:
My Tinkerbell also had it, she had lesions on her face.

Vet took a biopsy of them, and the results confirmed it to be syphillis.

She had a course of injections, nearly 2 years ago, and luckily has had no further problems.

Hope the lop recovers soon.

OH no. my two are being treated for syphyllis at present and are responding well to the penicillin. It went untreated for a long time as vets wouldnt believe me, but now Douglas' genitals are sooo much smaller and Desmonds nose is nearly back to normal. All being well, they shouldnt need their 3rd jab on Fri as nearly all healed up. I hope yours are all better soon and that neither of us have relapses

She is really swollen and it is awful. Luckly she only has it on her genitalia up to now. My vet new it was syphallis straight away

kay

I had one yrs ago and it took a long time but it did claer with the penicillin but was a pain, the only thing I found was every now and again it would return, But again didn't stop the mischief

Well Lucy went back to the vets last night for her 3rd penicillin injection and we didn't give it to her as she as actually got worse, she is having a biopsy done on monday as we think it could be something else (but what we are not sure)and then the next step is xray and then possibly opening her up to see if there is something else goping on.

Well Lucy went back to the vets last night for her 3rd penicillin injection and we didn't give it to her as she as actually got worse, she is having a biopsy done on monday as we think it could be something else (but what we are not sure)and then the next step is xray and then possibly opening her up to see if there is something else goping on.

Poor girl :cry:

Is it a crusty swelling of just the vulva or can your Vet feel something abnormal further up ?

Janex

Fingers crossed for Lucy that it isn't anything more serious.
Lots of soothing vibes for her too ~*~*~

Oh no. Am sorry Lucy is no better.

I really hope Caroline is able to find out what the problem is and it is not too serious.

Poor Lucy, sending lots of vibes.

Is it a crusty swelling of just the vulva or can your Vet feel something abnormal further up ?

Janex

How do I explain what it is like other than a mess:(
It is like, if she wasn't so wet it would be probably crusty but she also as like a cauliflower sort of shape that looks to be coming from the side of the vulva and the scent gland. It is a very dark pink colour and inflamed. It is then like open blisters and inflmaed all the way round the nether region areas. The smell is absolutely awful, I have never smelt anything like it (and I have permanently blocked sinus's).
I am cleaning her 3 times a day and drying her but it is just wet straight after.
Poor baby girl:(

Lucy as gone under a GA as my vet is opening her up, to see if there is anything inside.
Fingers crossed for her.

Unfortunately Lucy I have had to let Lucy go under the anaesthic as when my vet opened her up her whole stomach was a mass of grey as the circulation had stopped completely in the stomach, there were no signs of tumours. She was also acting very strange as they were putting her under the GA as she wouldn't go to sleep and had to have 1.5 times more than the normal dose af anaesethic.:cry::cry:

Back