• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I make my bunnies more friendly?

Hello everyone

I have 2 house bunnies, neutered boys about 10 months old. They hate to be picked up and aren't keen on being petted. The are happy to jump on the sofa and walk on me and they follow me everywhere (to the bathroom!!!!), even lie on the doorstep to stop me going to work in the morning, but if I try to pet them they run away.

I've tried lying on the floor with treats and they'll jump all over me, give me nudges, even stick their nose on mine, but as soon as I got to pet them, they're off.

Any ideas on what I can do to make them more approachable and me less scarey to them?

hello :)

One of our buns, parsley, was like this he was really scatty too would be all over you then all of a sudden would dart away like a bullet as if he'd heard something terrifying but all of a sudden he's calmed down and now he lines up to be cuddled in the morning and pushes miffy out of the way. I spend a LOT of time sitting on the floor with my buns so i dont know if this has anything to do with it, what about rying to pet him/her whilst they're eating? MAybe feed them by hand. IT could also be that the movement of your hand over their heads scares them maybe try with your hand on the floor and move it slowly to them making sure they can see you from the side as they can't see directly in front of them. Sorry i cant be more help and i'm sure someone with better advice will come along soon xx

Try hand feeding them greens, grass, hay etc, but don't let go of the food! It will help them get used to your hands being a good thing. Gradually start stroking them while they eat. :D

Maria x

they'll jump all over me, give me nudges, even stick their nose on mine, but as soon as I got to pet them, they're off.

Muppet's the same. I've had him a year now and he does not liked to be stroked when he's on me [which is perverse when he often jumps on me for attention!! :roll:]. But he does like to be stroked in other ways/times, which we have discovered together over the year. You just have to find 'their' way ;) And they may have to learn to like being stroked - as Muppet did; it didnt come naturally to him at all.

:DMy two are house bunnies and hate being picked up as well.. :shock:( a lot of bunnies are like this .. probably scared of the height and not being able to escape etc).

They do love having their ears stroked and will sit they happily grinding their teeth! The fact that yours follow you and hop on the sofa shows they like you :D.. Choose their favourite treats and make them come to you to get them and gradually increase the contact and strokes !! We rattle food in a pot and call 'bunny buns' ... this is now followed by a stampede of 'starving rabbits !! :lol::lol:

Thank you

Hello everyone

Thank you for all your advice. I have been feeding them by hand the last few days and gradually started stroking their ears while they are eating and it's working!!!

Oscar is the least approachable one, he likes time on his own under the bed and he let me stroke him for about 20 seconds today - which isn't much BUT a vast improvement from before.:D

We rattle food in a pot and call 'bunny buns' ... this is now followed by a stampede of 'starving rabbits !! :lol::lol:[/QUOTE said:
That's what I do too. I rattle the treat box and call 'bunny bunny' and they come flying.

Alfie hears the fridge door open and circles my legs in the hope of some runner beans. If I don't give in he'll sit by the fridge looking at it.

That's what I do too. I rattle the treat box and call 'bunny bunny' and they come flying.

Alfie hears the fridge door open and circles my legs in the hope of some runner beans. If I don't give in he'll sit by the fridge looking at it.

Don't they make you feel guilty when they sit in front of you with their big eyes glaring at you as if to say but pleaseeee pretty pleaseee

We rattle food in a pot and call 'bunny buns' ... this is now followed by a stampede of 'starving rabbits !! :lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol:

I call out "where's my bunnies". They all come stampeding to me as they are permanently starving too!

Back