• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dennis has changed personality?

Lea-Anne

Warren Veteran
As some of you may know I got Dennis, my mini rex from RR. He was 5months when I got him in Oct.

He came to me like most babies, sweet and calm and very friendly. As he got older he got more bolshy, cheeky and hormonal! He started to get territorial aggressive over his cage and toys. At 6 months he went to Aunty Fiona for the snip.
His behaviour never changed. When let out of his cage he would do massive binkies (often 5 or 6 in one night every night) and skids, literally bouncing off the walls, sometimes he would run round and round my bed at full pelt. He became destructive and growly when touched and would not stay me or my bf for longer than a few seconds. We could stroke him but he would grunt and run off. The only way I can describe it is like he was hyper. He gets plenty of exercise so I had resided to the fact that this was just his temperament and that was that. He was very amusing to watch and friendly enough to come up to us but not much more! :shock::lol:

Also when giving him his pellets (Excel Junior) he would go crazy and lunge at the bowl like he was starving. I jokingly said to my bf 2what the heck do they put in this stuff. It is like hes addicted."
Well I rang out of the Excel Junior finally (it was a huge 4kg bag) last Friday and since then he has been on P@H pellets.

Stangely he no longer behaves the same when given these pellets. Obviously he is not as keen on them I thought...

Even more stangely is the fact he has completely changed personality this last week too, especially these last 3 days!

We get him out every night but the last few nights he has been calm and quieter than usual. We didn't realise how much he had changed until a couple of nights ago when he jumped onto the bed and would not leave us alone! He was calm and sweet and just kept nuzzling us. Then he started to groom us. My bf said he would not of believed me had he not witnessed it for himself. There was only one binky and the rest of the time he spent interested in us, letting us pet him! He did not grunt or growl at us once. Thinking it may be a "one-off" we had him out last night and tonight and hes exactly the same! :?

Now I am not complaining but I would like to know people's views on if they feel it could be the food > ? Thats the only thing thats changed.

Unless its the castration but then would it take 3 months to see a difference and would you expect it to be liertally overnight>?

Or my other theory was hes just " grown up" but again, would you not assume this would happen gradually?

I am baffled! :shock:

Any ideas.... ;)

Last edited:
maybe there was something in the excel that was making him hyper like the food colourings in kiora do to kids.

He's run out of hormones and/or steam :lol:

You could try putting him back on the Excel Junior to see if he changes back - but then again why fix something that aint broke??! ;)

You could try putting him back on the Excel Junior to see if he changes back

Did contemplating doing that, like a little experiment... :lol: But I love the " new" affectionate Dennis :love: :lol:

I'd say its a combination of loosing his balls and growing up

Two-foot males take note...............

Thanks Jane. Hoped you would share your wisdom! :D As for the 2 - foot taking note tehe - if only we could do that to some men 'eh? :rolleyes::lol:

Charlie was really naughty but he's not anymore, even after having he snip he was naughty, it stopped when we got his lady friend but I think it also had a lot to do with the fact that he was getting older and growing out of it.

Charlie was really naughty but he's not anymore, even after having he snip he was naughty, it stopped when we got his lady friend but I think it also had a lot to do with the fact that he was getting older and growing out of it.

Thanks Sarah. Maybe the penny has just dropped with him that 2-foots are not that bad..;):lol:

Back