• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much food (sorry ANOTHER question!)

JoLB

Warren Scout
Sorry yet another question....

Barney has the pellets (where everything is combined, so he can't do selective eating), hay and a few leaves of spinach or some carrot everyday.

How much should I be giving him of everything? He is out in the hall (which is 13' by 6.5') constantly so can exercise when he wants.

Doesnt sound a bad diet, Though I'd cut out carrot - Mine get a tiny piece (probably the size of a £2 coin) every few weeks. Its not a bad thing to give them a bit more but they're very high in sugar & they dont need it :) Spring greens are best as a stable veg :thumb: X

ooohh THATS why he likes carrot so much :lol:

He also likes cabbage, forgot to put that one.

Should I give him one handful of pellets a day, or more?

ooohh THATS why he likes carrot so much :lol:

He also likes cabbage, forgot to put that one.

Should I give him one handful of pellets a day, or more?

A handful is good :D Also does he have a variety of different hays? Could encourage him to eat a bit more, even if he eats loads...more is always good :lol: You can get the sample packs from www.thehayexperts.com so he can choose his favourites ;) Also, just looking at the name of your thread - Questions are good! :D

No he only has one type of hay... :oops:

Ok going to buy him more. Poor rabbit putting up with inexperienced me!

He did kiss me on my nose today I think though! (Either that or he just liked sniffing or licking my nose!)

No he only has one type of hay... :oops:

Ok going to buy him more. Poor rabbit putting up with inexperienced me!

He did kiss me on my nose today I think though! (Either that or he just liked sniffing or licking my nose!)

Aww dont be daft - Everyone is inexperienced to start with! :D One type of hay is fine anyway, just a bit of variety is quite nice for them ;) X

You could always come down for a cup of tea and take a few samples of different hay, and see which ones he likes. Just hop on the 65 bus. :D

I just ordered the variety pack!!! But thank you for the offer!! I worked in a dental practice in Ham a few weeks ago. Is that near you? I've got to go to the shops now....guinea pigs are squeaking 'cos they haven't had their spinach yet!
See you soon!

No it was in Back Lane, just off Ham Common (Perfect Smile)! I was only temping there....hate having to work 6 days so do it as little as possible!

Oh ok, did not know that there was a dentist there. We are closer to Richmond, along the 65 bus route.

The variety pack from the Hay Experts is great, you can try one type after another. I have two other hays form them, which are not in the variety pack, but I can recommend them.

What are the others?

I can't wait till it arrives... shall I just try one or two at a time? Knowing my luck he'll love them all!

I'd try one at a time and see what he thinks. Or alternatively, open all 5 bags and place them on the floor and then watch him sniff and choose one.

Apart from the normal meadow hay, I usually get two hays from a company called Alfalfa King. They are sold by the Hay Experts in two different sizes each. One is called natural timothy hay, the other is a mix of oat, wheat and barley hay. I also get some herbal hays, because I like their smell.

I put barley straw in the litter trays, and sometimes they even nibble on that.

Back