• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hepatic Lipidosis

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
A friend of mine has a very special bunny that is poorly at the moment, she doesn't post on here, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of his condition.

It was originally thought that he had EC after he was suffering from stasis and other symptoms, but he has now been diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis. I will post my friend's post on the other forum below, to see if anyone can help - Zippy is the poorly bun, and she has recently lost another bunny, Charlie.

I've just received Zippy's blood results back and it would appear he has hepatic lipidosis.

We are awaiting Zippy's E-c results and then he will undergo a liver scan to see to what extent his liver is damaged.

I don't know much about this particular condition but I've just read that there can be a link between coccidia and GI stasis, as well as the link between coccidia and the hepatic lipidosis.

I remember James telling me after Charlie's post mortem that they had found this present in his intestines but didn't think it was the cause of death. I didn't have time to think during the phone call but wondered if there could be a link between what happened to Charlie and Zippy's illness. Obviously, if this protazoa has infected both Charlie and Zippy, at very least, I would imagine Biggles and Poppy are also affected.

Does anyone have any experience of coccidiosis or hepatic lipidosis? If so, I'd be very interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

Wabbs & Zippy x

I could be wrong, but I always thought that stasis leads to hepatic lipidosis, rather than the other way around.

I think hepatic lipidosis is sometimes associated with obese rabbits who are dieted too quickly.

Amy

Hepatic Lipidosis ( fatty liver) occurs rapidly in an anorexic Rabbit. The Bun becomes hypoglycaemic ( low blood sugar) which triggers a chain of events leading to the mobilisation of free fatty acids from adipose tissue (fat in the body) to the Liver. The Liver becomes 'clogged' with the fatty deposits and the Liver eventually fails.
Obese Rabbits develop Hepatic Lipidosis more rapidly because of the excess body fat they are carrying. Pregnant Does are also at risk if they stop eating for any reason.

Hepatic Lipidosis is generally the result of Anorexia

Janex

I see the Bun is going to have an abdominal U/S. TBH I wonder if there is any point as if the blood test was taken during/soon after the period of anorexia/stasis then surely that would effect the LFTs :?
I know money is not necessarily an issue but an U/S will be costly and will it actually give any treatment options :?

Personally I would have the blood test repeated now he's eating again and seemingly recovered. If the LFTs are still abnormal then maybe proceed with an abdominal U/S :?
Meanwhile, I have used Milk Thistle for Buns with a compromised liver function. Perhaps this could be suggested to the Vet treating the Bun

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1779

Janex

Back