• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lucky escape - How high can a fox jump?

Wilbur

Mama Doe
I am in shock. I let my boys out every afternoon free range in the garden while I am in. I work at the PC looking out into the garden. Ten minutes ago Louis crashed through the cat flap. I looked out and there was a fox on the patio! I rushed out and it jumped over the fence, (we have a bit of fence that has a temporary 3ft mesh wire repair, the rest is 5ft wood panels).Tom ran and hid behind the shed. I have now got them both in. Louis won't come out from behind the sofa. They are both banging their feet like mad. I am in shock, how high can a fox jump? I am so glad we had the cat flap fitted before Christmas. I think I need a brandy, well tea anyway! My poor babies are looking really scared.

Weekend job now to repair fence properly! What a lucky escape, I'd have never forgiven myself.

I saw a fox in our road for the first time ever 2 nights ago :shock: :shock:

We have a 7ft fence but reading Bavarian Bunny's note looks like even that is not enough to stop them getting over.

What do you need to do to make a fence "fox proof"?

Last edited:
Yes, either a human or a dog in the garden might stop a fox, but not much else. They walk across our lawn at lunch time. And during the last few nights I could hear them scream, seems to be mating season now.

My staffy loves chasing fox and she jumps about 6ft aswell so no foxy come by my garden also we have a dog flap as soon as theres a noise up the ears go and out she goes!!!:)
But i know what would happen if she eva caught a fox!!!!:cry:

You could try this is only an idea mind you, you know the spikes they put up for pigeons not to land on, wat about using it on the fence for the fox!
Just an idea!:D

You could try this is only an idea mind you, you know the spikes they put up for pigeons not to land on, wat about using it on the fence for the fox!

Would it be legal to do this? I have thought about some of these fence deterrents as an added precaution (some aimed at cats) before but they don't look particulary good. Would like to keep the cats out too!

Last edited:
My staffy loves chasing fox and she jumps about 6ft aswell so no foxy come by my garden also we have a dog flap as soon as theres a noise up the ears go and out she goes!!!:)
But i know what would happen if she eva caught a fox!!!!:cry:

It might injure the fox as well though which isnt really fair :( Their only doing whats natural

Didnt really think about that!:?
But id rather protect my buns from having thier heads missing to be completly honest!
I had one take Big Mama a year ago right out of her hutch! he bit throught the wire and took my baby that was 9yr old i loved her so much i was so upset for months:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
i told the ppl at my gun club about it the next day! only to find that he had come back again but failed to get one of my rabbits this time so i told my friend at the club he had been again!!!
and he came down waited all night and im proberly gunna get mullered for saying this he shot it dead!:(
but he did say to me once they have found a food source they will keep coming back to it as it is only natrual to do so!:cry:
and i really couldnt bear to see that again!
i never saw the body of the fox didnt want to! but he did tell me it was the size of a collie dog!!!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just have to put my coat on more!

There was also a deer in next doors garden last night. My son has just reminded me that they have just cleared the railway banks behind our gardens so probably the fox and deer can get along the back more easily now. There have been complaints about the clearing as they just chopped everything down just before Christmas so all the little creatures thinking they were settled for the winter lost their homes. I hadn't thought it might also make a difference to bigger animals.

My babies are still very nervous. I'm going to struggle to put them back in their shed as they keep hiding behind the sofa (not too frightened to eat a couple of raisins though!)

Would it be legal to do this? I have thought about some of these fence deterrents as an added precaution (some aimed at cats) before but they don't look particulary good. Would like to keep the cats out too!

I *think* it is illegal. I remember sometime ago my dad looking into this to try and prevent cats getting into our garden but saying it wasn't allowed.

I have a dog, Mia and thankfully know she would protect my rabbits no end (the rabbits have been in their run before now with a cat stalking them but obviously the dog was loose and chased it off). Even so I never leave my rabbits unattended as I would never leave them alone with the dog anyway!

Mia flipped out one night at about 12am and I came down to find she was baying at the door to get out of the kitchen. She was in a frenzy like I have never seen. My shed is right at the bottom of my garden yet somehow she knew a fox was about and her barking managed to scare it off. I only know because I saw it on the roof of my shed ( about 8 foot high maybe? )within seconds of it flicking its tail it was gone. All my rabbits knew it was there and were spooked and wouldn't stop thumping all through the early hours of the morning. :cry:

I don't think you can ever totally fox proof and I know of people who have been in their garden with their rabbits and a fox has snatched them. If they are hungry they will go to any lengths and unfortunately nowadays they just arn't scared of humans anymore.

Last edited:
Didnt really think about that!:?
But id rather protect my buns from having thier heads missing to be completly honest!
I had one take Big Mama a year ago right out of her hutch! he bit throught the wire and took my baby that was 9yr old i loved her so much i was so upset for months:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
i told the ppl at my gun club about it the next day! only to find that he had come back again but failed to get one of my rabbits this time so i told my friend at the club he had been again!!!
and he came down waited all night and im proberly gunna get mullered for saying this he shot it dead!:(
but he did say to me once they have found a food source they will keep coming back to it as it is only natrual to do so!:cry:
and i really couldnt bear to see that again!
i never saw the body of the fox didnt want to! but he did tell me it was the size of a collie dog!!!

Whats a gun club??? :?

I dont really know what to say about the fox - if i had outside buns my view would probably be different.

We had a cat jump over our fence in the summer and frightened poor miloe to death! we threw some water over it and it never returned!

Hi,

Anybody who lets their bunny our free range is offering a free lunch

IS IT REALLY WORTH THE RISK?

I would never leave them for one minute because that is all it takes.

Maureen

I left my Daisy for 10 minutes, one beautiful summers evening.

We had 7ft fencing around our garden, but a fox got her and I've never forgiven myself :(

Back