• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New cage I built

IzzyTwig

Alpha Buck
What do you think? I still need to add some finishing touches, like a door (it's finished just needs to be attached), and perhaps a small fence on the shelves to stop bunnies falling off.

dscf1103jl7.jpg

dscf1099vx9.jpg

fantastic! how long did it take you?

I keep toying with the idea of getting these cube things but my buns are free roaming and only use the cage for a base (they are never shut in it), so I don't think it's worth the effort

I've spent most of the week building it, must have spent a fortune, but it was worth it. My hands are now cut, grazed, full of splinters and terribly dry!
The cage only took an evening, but the floor, levels and ladders took much longer.

When I get my bunnies they'll be shut in over night and briefly during the day when both my fiance and I are out, so I wanted them to have a bunny mansion full of fun things to do.

B&Q warehouse (they don't stock them in the smaller B&Q). They're about £22 or something for a box of 24 grids. They're classed as storage.
I used just over 50 grids, so I've just broken into a 3rd box.

How sturdy are these? I used the Argos ones in the past and found they'd fall apart at the drop of a hat unless I used cableties to join them together

I was somewhat doubtful about how sturdy it would be, I used a mixture of the connectors provided and cable ties. But they seem to be strong enough as after assembling it all I decided to test it by sitting on the big shelf, it supported me so I imagine it can take thumping bunnies.

It looks nice and neat and tidy now, though I imagine when the first bunny arrives next week it'll be a different story.

Actually you've inspired me to build one. I've got loads and loads of grids from Screwfix, but I only build 1 cage for the guinea pigs due to space and the rest are in Nero 4's.

I've talked hubby (sort of) into letting Moonshine and Flopsy come and live downstairs because it's cramped for exersize space with 3 pairs in the spare room.

So, I am going to try to build a grid cage for them as a base in the kitchen, watch this space...

(it may all go horribly wrong though:lol::lol:)

Back