• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my hutch/run big enough?

kerina

Warren Scout
I was just wondering what your opinions were on the size of Smokey's hutch/run?

His hutch is this style

HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pet-Pads-The-Harrogate-Rabbit-hutch-Guinea-pig-hutch_W0QQitemZ190188859458QQihZ009QQcategoryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And the whole run area is 5ft x 2ft. The enclosed hutch bit is approx
2ft x 1ft

His is a netherland dwarf and weighs approx 850g.

Your thoughts please??? (if the link i put in works?)

Thanks

Kerina

Oh dear, my link didn't work - how do you do that??

It is on Ebay, item number 190188859458

Kerina

The hutch in the link is a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft (approx) on top of a 5ft x 5ft x 2ft run!? :?

I would think that would provide a decent space for a rabbit!

The dimensions you provided do seem a little small depending on how much free range time he's given?

Hannah

Willow Warren "The hutch in the link is a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft (approx) on top of a 5ft x 5ft x 2ft run!?"

Is it??:oops: I didn't read that bit obviously!

What I meant to portray is that it is a hutch on top of a run - so at one end of the run, the hutch sits - it is a totally enclosed wooden box of approx 2ft x 1ft with a hole in and a ramp that lets him in and out into the run whenever he likes 24/7.

Does that clarify it?

Last edited:
me personally think he should have a hutch of at least 4ft x 2ft attached to maybe a 6ft x 4ft run? this is just my opinion hun :)

xx

Okay *gulp* - i feel really bad and cruel now. Thank you for your opinion - I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know!!

I think I'd better talk to OH and my Dad about an extension?

Kerina

Willow Warren "The hutch in the link is a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft (approx) on top of a 5ft x 5ft x 2ft run!?"

Is it??:oops: I didn't read that bit obviously!

What I meant to portray is that it is a hutch on top of a run - so at one end of the run, the hutch sits - it is a totally enclosed wooden box of approx 2ft x 1ft with a hole in and a ramp that lets him in and out into the run whenever he likes 24/7.

Does that clarify it?

If I'm understanding it right, that's a similar size to what I kept Dolly in and she seemed quite happy with it!

Going by what Crystal Butterfly says 6 x 4 = 24ft square, which is about the same as 5 x 5 = 25ft square :D

As many people say it's the overall space that is important!

Hannah

I think as long as he has permanent access to the run I would class the whole square footage as his living space, and just class the 2ft X1ft space as a shelter. For a single nethie that seems ok to me. But at the moment while the weather is crappy I'd imagine he is spending quite a bit of time in the shelter which doesn't really give him a lot of room to move around/for adequate food, water and bedding areas.

If I'm understanding it right, that's a similar size to what I kept Dolly in and she seemed quite happy with it!

Going by what Crystal Butterfly says 6 x 4 = 24ft square, which is about the same as 5 x 5 = 25ft square :D

As many people say it's the overall space that is important!

Hannah

I agree, I think we should be focusing a lot more on overall square footage than getting bogged down in exact detailings.

I agree with Dee Love (tried to edit my post but it went all wrong!)

Sometimes it's easiest to get a tape measure out - or post a piccie with you bunnie in it for size comparison (and of course we all like to photos of bunnies ;))

Yes, perhaps in this weather they do spend longer in the sheltered part, which is quites small, but you may be able to adapt what you have to provide more shelter.

Hannah

Okay *gulp* - i feel really bad and cruel now. Thank you for your opinion - I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know!!

I think I'd better talk to OH and my Dad about an extension?

Kerina

aww i wouldnt feel cruel hun we all learn by asking questions and im sure you give your little bun so much love and care. when i first got 2 rabbits they lived in a 3ft cage luckily another rabbit forum lead me in the right direction.

Yes, perhaps in this weather they do spend longer in the sheltered part, which is quites small, but you may be able to adapt what you have to provide more shelter.

Hannah

I think you'll find that if they have the space,despite the weather that if they want to sit out they will and if they want to get somewhere small and cosy that is also their own choice and at least with this hutch he can make the choice for himself.

I find rabbits actually like being in small spaces for part of the day it goes back to what the wild buns do.:D

Gosh, thanks for all the posts.

If it's all about the overall space then a 5ft x 2ft run would give him 10sqft to run around in.

I'll try to take a photo at the weekend (i'm only home when it's dark in the week!)

Even so, I still think it's a bit too small for him. I'll post some photos, and perhaps then we could try to come up with some ideas on how to extend it?

I have another hutch of the same style that is a foot wider (5ft x 3ft) giving a total of 15sqft with a 3ft x 1ft shelter in it, but that is reserved for my new rescue bun I am hoping to get on Sunday.

Kerina
xxx

Here is a very good picture of Speedy (sadly departed RIP little man) in the bigger of the two hutch/runs - this is the 5ft x 3ft one.

Smokey's is basically 1ft narrower than this.

You can just about see the corner of where the "hutch" bit is (above the ground).

I will take some better pictures of the whole thing with Smokey in it at the weekend and post next week.

100_9213.jpg

Yes, i've found they do tend to stay cosied up in one corner. :lol:

Mine often sit with their body in shelter, but their head poking out (they like to take in the fresh air - they have plenty of room to fit in completly), which means they get a wet head - Dolly's main used to go curly in the rain - bless :love:

"Only home when it's dark" - depressing isn't it, roll on summer and lighter evenings I say!

Sorry I still talk as if I have two rabbits.

Hannah

Mine often sit with their body in shelter, but their head poking out (they like to take in the fresh air - they have plenty of room to fit in completly), which means they get a wet head - Dolly's main used to go curly in the rain - bless :love:

"Only home when it's dark" - depressing isn't it, roll on summer and lighter evenings I say!

Hannah

Awwww, how cute - curly mane :lol: :lol:

I still talk as if Blackeye was here - he used to hang out of his hole as well - sometimes i'd catch him sprawled right down the ramp :roll:

They are funny little things, these bunnies!

Kerina
xxx

Hannah

:-(

I've noticed ours sitting in the shed, but all gathered around the exit to the shed for air. :D

Back