• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits... and dads.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I think there was a thread recently concerning rabbits and o/hs, and how there's sometimes jealousy and/or hostility towards the bunnies... Anyone who lives at home with their parents find this is the case with their father? o_x Because mine has decided, recently, that he dislikes mine and they take up space (in the garage and back yard, where he never goes), and that my owning four of them means that he had to inform me he is NOT running 'a rabbit sanctuary' and that I will NOt become 'a batty old rabbit lady'. He also grumbles if I ask to be taken to get bunny supplies. It's baffling, as he rarely even sets eyes on either rabbit - but feels he has to claim the garden, the grass, the garage, any time that would be spent with the bunnies... It's like a territorial thing.

Aaaanyone else found any similar behaviour? I'm starting to despair with mine, so I guess I'm hoping this is common. :lol:

p.s. He's not making me get rid of them, or threatening to do so... and I'm quite able to hold my own, at least where my bunny-monsters are concerned.

If i were still living with parents it will be dad who adored them and my mum who didant bother,my dads crazy about animals and thats why i am like i am:lol:

Rick

My dad's always a miserable git when it comes to getting new animals (cats or rabbits). But then when they arrive he used to go to work via the back door to check on the rabbits first (as kids this used to make us laugh - like we didn't notice what he was doing)! And has been known to wait up till the wee hours of the morning to wait for the cat to come home!

He's also the one now who says most often "it's a shame to only see one rabbit outside", "hardle seems worth feeding just one rabbit" (er... he doesn't mean this is a we shouldn't bother to feed Barley - just his way of saying it would be nice to get another rabbit without actually "saying" it!)

Hannah

Mine's started complaining about the straw in the garage! :lol: I'm going out there later to do a super tidy, and to move things to make more room for the new hutch...

He used to like my guinea pigs, so much so he insisted on buying the largest cage available. And he never, ever minded my rabbits when I had two females... I'm sure it's some macho thing all because of Barney, hehe.

Mine's started complaining about the straw in the garage! :lol: I'm going out there later to do a super tidy, and to move things to make more room for the new hutch...

He used to like my guinea pigs, so much so he insisted on buying the largest cage available. And he never, ever minded my rabbits when I had two females... I'm sure it's some macho thing all because of Barney, hehe.

New hutch as in new bun or for your 2 now ?

As in new bun... nies. ^^

At least, I hope so. Hazel was spayed on Wednesday (I think), and Elaine said she and baby would be ready for rehoming this weekend.

My Dad pretends not to care but if he's in the garden he'll let Treacle and Dumpling out so they can run free, think he likes it when they try and *help* him!
He also talks to them when he thinks nobody is around and takes them treats! :lol::lol:

My dad loves all my buns and all animals he cares for them if i'm away for the night and he often comes home from work with some nice hay or boxes to play with. Infact he is the most brilliant dad ever:D

My dad and my brother pretend to hate my animals because they make me make mess (cleaning and feeding etc) but i know they talk to them when they think i am not listening!

I think they try to be macho about it!

... I really wish my dad would only 'pretend' to dislike my rabbits. ;-;

He talks to the cats when he thinks no one is around, but he really has developed a dislike for Barney & Amber.

'a batty old rabbit lady'

:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant!

Fortunately my dad never had a problem with the bunnies, he'd take an active roll in making hutches, feeding, playing, vet visits and even being a foster mother to a runt kit and using a pippette to feed him.

The best part about the 'batty old rabbit woman' comment is that I'm only 20. :roll: He's been looking into the distant future, apparently.

I don't quite understand how we can have four cats, but not be accused of running a cat sanctuary (even though two are strays that turned up and were adopted), but four rabbits is a rabbit sanctuary. o_o;

Charlie wasn't very popular with my bf when he was destructive even though he bought him for me, since we've adopted Poppy Charlie has calmed down a lot, Poppy was favoured by my bf when we got her because she can be cuddled and doesn't chew things but Charlie has won back his affection, if the door is open he'll come in and jump on the sofa to see my bf, he sits on the hutch and peers at him through the window too and makes us laugh by binkying all over the place.

aw i am very lucky my dad loves chels and often goes to talk to her in the garden tho im sure he wud never admit this!! lol he will always do all he can to help mum with care (even tho he not really know what to do when comes to meds) he also seems to enjoy building hutches and runs etc tho i can remember at the time he grumbled...but i think that might be as it was only a small shed originally which turned into a house extension room for chelsea! im very lucky he has buuilt me a big 6x2x3 ft hutch for me to foster with we just waiting till a suitable time we both free for him to bring down and assembly so i am so grateful to have a fab dad... (also my mum who is also member on here is the best to she cares for chelsea as a baby and would never let anything bad happen! she is the best bunny mummy and i am glad she is able to care for chelsea for me)

Back