• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ceotrophes excess

mullethead

Mama Doe
Is it bad for them ,at night only there is excess as i only find them in the morning when i fill there water,they have a handfull of pellets in morning and a handfull at night with there daily veg and constant supply of hay.

Rick

It might be that they're getting too many pellets, are you feeding a handful each or between them? Also, what pellets do you feed? It's usually too much protein that causes excess caecals if I remember rightly. It's best to get it sorted now so it's not a problem when the weather heats up and flystrike is a risk

They have a handfull each of a&p but im sure its only bobby who is having the problem but could be wrong i know what you mean about flystrike thoe.

Rick

Do they live together? It might be that Bobby's scrounging extra pellets from the others if so. I only feed a handful a day rather than two - if you prefer to feed twice a day you could halve the amount. It's better for them to not have so many pellets all at one time anyway as it's quite a concentrated feed, just keep an eye that none are losing weight on less pellets.
Do you give them any dried grass at all either? This is higher in protein so may be a culprit too

I would suggest you need to cut the pellet intake and increase the hay supply. They should start to eat more hay anyway if the 'easy' food source is removed. I would feed the pellets in the AM too if the problems are occuring at night.

Agree with Sooz. Cut down the pellets and increase hay intake. Our newbie Sienna had problems with this when she was first rescued, but now eats hay likes it's going out of fashion and problem completely erradicated! Good luck x

They eat hay till it comes out of there ears:lol:I will feed less pellets and just give it them in morning,they all get the same amount as i stay while they eat it to make sure none get left out.

Rick

Back