• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jen's blind - Help please

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Hey Guys.

Jens gone blind (think its gradual, been going for a few months at least but its totally gone now) & shes not coping great so would really appreciate some advice. The problems were having are the following -

* Her & Rhia. They were very loved up before J started loosing her sight, Now shes chasing & nipping Rhi quite a bit. Cant split them because Rhia looks after her & she depends on her, she'd be a lot worse off without her & they get on really well when Jen knows where she is & what shes doing. Have put lots of obsticles in the hutch so Rhia can get away. Any other advice?

* Jen cant find water on her own, I go out and give her a bowl morning, when I get in or before I go out (around 12.30) and evening time and sometimes she wont drink (obv doesnt need it) but then shes always really thirsty the next time I go. Rhia tries to help but Jen doesnt always catch on to what shes doing. Thought about syringing her but she gets so stressed when shes having her meds syringed that her breathing is terrible.

* Shes the most sensitive little rabbit ever and is so easily upset that its really thrown her & shes quite depressed, Tilly-May was withdrawn & nervy when she went blind but nothing like this. Will she get used to life without her sight?

Edited to add, Shes also missing some of her caceatrophs (sp?!) :?

Thankyou X

Last edited:
ogh my god thats awful, i don't have any advice, but just wanted to say my thoughts are with you and i hope someone who can help comes soon...

it sounds like your doing it right tho x

aww hun im sure she will get used to it.... id be depressed to if id just gone blind.... her other senses will most likely kick in to compensate.... maybe wet her veg for extra water.. alvin dont drink much so i keep his veg wet when i give it to him... hope she cheers up soon xxxxxx

Aww so sorry to hear about Jen's sight. I don't have a totally blind bun, so my situation isn't the same, but Lottie is blind in one eye. She is still confident, but misjudges things and bangs around a lot more than Libby. Bun's don'tr have good sight generally, so can cope with blindness, but obviously in the wild it would affect the heirachy.
It sounds as though the agression may be fear based, but hopefully, she'll get a bit more confident once she's usd to her handicap and of course her other senses will help her ( hearing and smell especially). It must be a bit distressing for her, so I would just keep them together for now and maybe groom Rhia yourself, for Jen, until Jen can get her bearings. Rhia may be thinking Jen has rejected her company if she can't figure out which end of Rhia's is which. Maybe worth a try and just keep an eye on the situation. Hopefully it will settle down in a day or two.:D

The only blind rabbit I've had was blind from birth so never had the same problems as Jen. I can only imagine that in time she'll learn to live with it and her other senses will increase to compensate.

I wish I could help.

Thanks for replies folks, Its not really the blindness thats worrying me as much as what could possibly have caused it :( Tills went blind before we lost her, but she seemed to cope so much better - Possibly because we had an incredibly strong bond. Rhia is a little star, really looks after Jen & will not, however hard Jen pushes her, turn on her - so thats one less worry! As you've said, you would think she'd come to terms with it...but it has been a few months now, hence my concern really.

Thanks for replies folks, Its not really the blindness thats worrying me as much as what could possibly have caused it :( Tills went blind before we lost her, but she seemed to cope so much better - Possibly because we had an incredibly strong bond. Rhia is a little star, really looks after Jen & will not, however hard Jen pushes her, turn on her - so thats one less worry!

Did the vet give you any clues? sometimes cataracts can form, sometimes it can be as a result of EC. I think there are a number of causes. Maybe worth just asking the vet so you can rule out anything more sinister. If she seem otherwise healthy, it may just be one of those things. The vet couldn't explain why Lottie went blind, just checked her over to make sure there was nothing serious. :D You could always give her a preventative course of Panacur if your vet thinks it's a good idea. Won't restore her sight, but may prevent any progression if it is EC.

Did the vet give you any clues? sometimes cataracts can form, sometimes it can be as a result of EC. I think there are a number of causes. Maybe worth just asking the vet so you can rule out anything more sinister. If she seem otherwise healthy, it may just be one of those things. The vet couldn't explain why Lottie went blind, just checked her over to make sure there was nothing serious. :D You could always give her a preventative course of Panacur if your vet thinks it's a good idea. Won't restore her sight, but may prevent any progression if it is EC.

Sorry I hadnt made myself very clear, we kind of do think it may be something sinister :( Shes going to have some xrays etc once shes finished her meds for pasteurella...Will know more once Ive spoken to our vet tomorrow. They're such a worry x

Do you always put her water in the same place? Being blind shouldn't stop her finding it as they have very sensitive noses/whiskers. I should think she would be able to smell the water but you could always associate a stronger scent with it e.g. wipe the edge of the bowl with vanilla essence or something similar.

If her hearing is okay, I guess you could try one of those dog/cat fountains, they would make water noise so she can hear where it is. Though I think they need electricity which might be difficult to do practically/safely.

Rabbits that eat a lot of fresh veg don't drink much water. So it may be she's thirsty depending when/what she's eaten that day.

You could try a cat cat collar fitted with a bell for Rhia. If the issue is her sneaking up on Jen. You'd need to ensure that it's a safety collar that will break if caught on anything.

Has she had a once over by a vet recently? Most rabbits with vision issues cope extremely well as they don't rely on vision much for close up things. Rabbits eyes are designed to detect movement at a distance. So their nose/ears/whiskers are much more use in a more confined environment like a hutch. It sounds like she's not compensating as well as most so perhaps there is another issue there too. Odd drinking habits and grumpiness could be signs of a bladder infection.

Do you always put her water in the same place? Being blind shouldn't stop her finding it as they have very sensitive noses/whiskers. I should think she would be able to smell the water but you could always associate a stronger scent with it e.g. wipe the edge of the bowl with vanilla essence or something similar.

If her hearing is okay, I guess you could try one of those dog/cat fountains, they would make water noise so she can hear where it is. Though I think they need electricity which might be difficult to do practically/safely.

Rabbits that eat a lot of fresh veg don't drink much water. So it may be she's thirsty depending when/what she's eaten that day.

You could try a cat cat collar fitted with a bell for Rhia. If the issue is her sneaking up on Jen. You'd need to ensure that it's a safety collar that will break if caught on anything.

Has she had a once over by a vet recently? Most rabbits with vision issues cope extremely well as they don't rely on vision much for close up things. Rabbits eyes are designed to detect movement at a distance. So their nose/ears/whiskers are much more use in a more confined environment like a hutch. It sounds like she's not compensating as well as most so perhaps there is another issue there too. Odd drinking habits and grumpiness could be signs of a bladder infection.

I put a splash of fruit juice in her water bowls, but shes very fussy and wouldnt drink that :rolleyes: A collar would be a really good idea, although I'd worry so much. She sees our lovely vet loads, and we're going to have tests done soon as her nose is a little clearer. Her hearing seems good. Thanks for that, very helpful post :thumb: X

Oh Becki, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

I hope you manage to work out a solution to make her more at ease, the collar with bell does sound like a good one. Sorry I have no advice.

Sending huge hugs xx

I put a splash of fruit juice in her water bowls, but shes very fussy and wouldnt drink that :rolleyes: A collar would be a really good idea, although I'd worry so much. She sees our lovely vet loads, and we're going to have tests done soon as her nose is a little clearer. Her hearing seems good. Thanks for that, very helpful post :thumb: X

You're welcome :) Does she has snuffles to then? If she gets a blocked nose that could certainly explain why she's finding things harder as she's down two senses not just one.

Sound would be the best way to give her clues to her surroundings then. Perhaps bedding that russells so Rhia is more obvious when she moves. A cheap watch with hands so it ticks near her water bowl? - trying to think of something that doesn't need wires ;)

You're welcome :) Does she has snuffles to then? If she gets a blocked nose that could certainly explain why she's finding things harder as she's down two senses not just one.

Sound would be the best way to give her clues to her surroundings then. Perhaps bedding that russells so Rhia is more obvious when she moves. A cheap watch with hands so it ticks near her water bowl? - trying to think of something that doesn't need wires ;)

Brilliant suggestions - and I cant believe I didnt relate her snufflies to missing another sense!! :eek: Is there any bedding you suggest? Other than shredded paper preferably, we dont get along well with that :roll: Seriously cant believe I didnt relate her snotty nose to not being able to smell!! :oops:

I've just read about Jen! I'm so so sorry - I haven't any advice I'm afraid but I'm sure lots of love from you will help!

Give her a cuddle from me xx

umm, I guess straw is russly. It's a bit louder than hay. What do you have at the moment? If you've got vet bed or similar down maybe something underneath that would work. Rabbits feet are well padded, they walk so quietly usually it's difficult.

Her whiskers will tell her when an object is there but it is probably hard for her to pick out Rhia specifically without sight/smell so that's probably the problem with the arguing.

You probably do it already but make sure you speak to her when you go to see her and then she can identify you. A good routine will help to so they both get in the habit of doing the same things at the sametime each day and she can anticipate what's going on from that.

Tam

Apart from my condolences I can only really add, in relation to the issue of ceacotrophes, that rabbits instinctively know when they are about to pass a ceacal pellet which is why they always catch them as they emerge from the anus.

If Jen is leving her ceacals there is probably a underlying reason other than her 'missing' them. I know my rabbts very rarely eat them from the floor.

Unless whatever has made her blind is affecting her neuro-reflexes which, I believe, is what lets them know a ceacal is being passed.

aww so sorry to hear about Jen's blindness.
It sounds to me as though you are doing everything in your power and Rhia is being a trooper as well. What you are doing is great and routine and not moving things too much are the key to it. I haven't had experience of this sort but Earl (my 1st bun) had cataracts and he had poor eyesight as he got older.
You are doing well

hugs to you all.

okies, i have two blind animals and although they are not bunnies i hope that what we have learnt will help. Maya also has poor eyesight due to ulcers on his eyes.

Iffy (our dog) and Pingu (piggy) are both young animals.

Iffys condition baffled us for ages, and we were worried it could be something more serious, and we had many, many sleepless nights wondering what the vets woud tell us. To look at Iffys eyes they look totally normal, until the light glares on them and she turns into "our ickle green eyed monster". The condition that Iffy has usually effects dogs of 7 years plus.
Pingu has very visible clouding on both eyes. She is approxximately 18 months old....so shes very young still. Pingu lost her friend Ivory a week before the second eye clouded over, so we are thinking that the process was fast due to the stress of loosing Ivory. The vet has donw numerous tests on Pingu, and has found no other health issues. Pingu now has a new friend in Mandy. Mandy and Pingu lubb each other very much.
With both Iffy and Pingu we have kept things as normal as possible. Iffy has learnt a few new commands to help her out (slowly, and step up are mastered to perfection now).

So , my advive to you is. Keep an open mind until you find out what is wrong with Jen. And keep things as normal as possible. Remember our animals are very sensitive to our moods, so Jen may pick up on how you are feeling at the moment. Keep Smiling :D

Sorry to hear about Jen's blindness. I personally don't have any experience of having a completely blind animal but my sister had a rabbit that was blind in one eye when we were younger and he adapted. It will take time for her to adapt and you have some good advice from people on here.

I hope she learns to cope well. You are doing a great job.

Back