• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a myxi survivor be bonded?

bizzy_vicki

Mama Doe
Like the title says!
I think it would be ok but just thought I would ask here first too, I have a good home awaiting for a pair and I have a single female who is putting on weight before we do anything with her and a single neutered male who was left single after his wife got and died of myxi and he survived nodular myxi, he is currently in a foster home and is a lovely bunny. The lady likes them both and would quite like to adopt them as a pair and I am happy to try to bond them if its safe to do so:wave:

Like the title says!
I think it would be ok but just thought I would ask here first too, I have a good home awaiting for a pair and I have a single female who is putting on weight before we do anything with her and a single neutered male who was left single after his wife got and died of myxi and he survived nodular myxi, he is currently in a foster home and is a lovely bunny. The lady likes them both and would quite like to adopt them as a pair and I am happy to try to bond them if its safe to do so:wave:

I cant see a problem with it :D

Janex

Yes it should be fine. One of mine went to live with a myxi survivor, I did a quick check with the vet first and she said it was fine.

Can't see a problem at all. Floss has survived 2 bouts of nodular myxi..she is bonded with Bournville and remained with him throughout her treatment. Both buns were up to date with vaccinations(2x per year), and both will continue to be vaccinated and live together.

Thanks for that guys, just wanted to make 100% sure, dont want to willingly infect another bunny! and also didnt want to condem him to singledom!
I was under the impression that survivors had built up such immunity that you no longer needed to vacc them? Thats what my vets think too, so is this not the case? Its similar in dogs I thought, if they survive parvo then you shouldnt vacc them against it...
So, is the general feeling that he can and should be vacc'd?
She will be speyed prior to bonding but has to build herself up a lot first, she is a gorgeous harlequin lop who was stray, she is sooooooo thin and almost bald over her sides and neck, I think she has probably had multiple litters:( She is ss friendly though, someone has obviously loved her at some point as she is so social!

Thanks for that guys, just wanted to make 100% sure, dont want to willingly infect another bunny! and also didnt want to condem him to singledom!
I was under the impression that survivors had built up such immunity that you no longer needed to vacc them? Thats what my vets think too, so is this not the case? Its similar in dogs I thought, if they survive parvo then you shouldnt vacc them against it...
So, is the general feeling that he can and should be vacc'd?
She will be speyed prior to bonding but has to build herself up a lot first, she is a gorgeous harlequin lop who was stray, she is sooooooo thin and almost bald over her sides and neck, I think she has probably had multiple litters:( She is ss friendly though, someone has obviously loved her at some point as she is so social!

My mums dog caught Parvo Virus before he was vaccs as a baby.... he survived, but then caught it again later in life.... he was lucky enough to survive for the second time, so I'm not sure how the vacc thing works:?.... mine have always been done. I'd double check with another vet.

Back