• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please!

Photielou

Warren Scout
Can anyone advise me please...

My rabbit had a eye duct flush today and is extremley doppey and won't eat at the moment and keeps chatterin and grinding her teeth.

Can anyone advise i you have had a bun who has had a flush and what they acted like after??? She has been spayed but alittle happy than she is now afterwards

Thanks

Bit Worried!:cry:

The tooth chattering could mean she is in pain... What was the eye duct flushed for? ^^

Don't worry - there are some very clever people on here who I'm sure will have lots of suggestions!

She had blcked ducts - the vet said that he had been able to clear them totally... But like I said she's chattering her teeth and is really floppey and keeps leanin ger head to one side!

Advice please - bout 2mins from ringing the vets

Has you Bunny had a General Anaesthetic ?
If so then she may be struggling to maintain her body temperature. She will need to be indoors and near a heat source such as a Central Heating radiator or on a Snugglesafe/Hot Water Bottle.

Has your Bunny poo'd/wee'd since being home?

Janex

I would give the vet a call :)
Sounds like she is in some pain and the head tilt and drowsiness is a concern. Did she have a general anaesthetic? It may have affected her more than it does other rabbits and caused a reaction. I would make an appointment to get her checked asap.

Good luck!

Yep she has had anesetic - she is a house rabbit - She's here with me in my warm living room - could she be too hot or is she better warm at this time?

She has pooed no wee as yet - she's nibbled a bit at some veg but thats it..

Thank you

Did your vet give you a post op after care sheet? Buns who've had GA's can have temperature probs as Jane has pointed out and may still be feeling cold despite being a house bun. Do you have a snugglesafe at all, this can be helpful after a GA just to help maintain a comfortable body heat. If you are worried, I'd just give the vet a quick call. Wee's and poo's are always a good sign, tempting her with something nice too, a favourite piece of veg or parsley may encourage her to start eating again. Hope she's back to normal again soon.:D

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help have lots of calls and a vets visit Flump is a bit better! She hasn't eaten tho but she's had a shot to speed up her gut!

The anestestic this time just didn't suit her :cry:

Also the problem was her temp - we've got her all wrapped up in towels with her favourite toys - food treats haven't tempted her as yet tho

Last edited:
Whenever my Biscuit has her ducts flushed, they only put her under local anesthetic. She has to have hers done every few months, and it's dangerous to put them under GA so often, isn't it??

Duct flushing can be extremely uncomfortable and as such pain relief should have been provided by your vets after the procedure.

It can also cause further damage to the duct from inflammation (and scar tissue causing narrowing) post-flush so an NSAID such as Metacam should be provided for a few days after, unless there is a particular health risk to the rabbit.

Hi Sooz

The only thing they gave me was some eye drops to use 3 times a day until I go back to see the vet on Tuesday. I can't remember unfortunatley what they are called tho.

The emergency vet did give her at shot to stimulate her gut which seems to have helped cause she has been to the toilet.

My fiancee has just been home and said she has been and was eating whilst he was there. So thats good!

I get blankets in her bed last night and soft toy to keep her warm coz her temp had dropped! We've left the heatin on all day for her too - her pen is next to a radiator.

Are the drops Tiacil or Fucithalmic? Both these are antibiotic drops.

It sounds like she is more comfortable but the rabbit whose ducts I had flushed on Tuesday only finished his last dose of Metacam this morning. His ees are a little better but we know he alredy had some scar tissue inside the ducts from a previous infection... so Im not expecting a great improvement TBH.

However you do need to be careful mixing painrelievers & NSAIDs, Chance had Rimaldyl (sp) on Tuesday so could not have Metacam for 48 hours.

Thanks for you advice Sooz - I will see how she is tonight when I get home and see what the drops are then - if she is not any happier I will ring the vets again.

I'm worried so I keep getting my fiancee to pop back home to check on her - she gave me a real fright last night!

Hows Harvey?

Running about like crazy, he is so hyperactive. I am going to clean the cages out in a bit and will take some new photo's for you then :D

Don't know whether any of your vets have ever tried this but I have had some good results off my Vet. She does a tear duct flush then syringes fucithalmic into the tear duct, I'm lucky in the fact that she does it while the bun is conscious first and then if she doesn't get results she will then put them under a GA, she only aneasethises the eye at first do do the first tear duct flush.

Don't know whether any of your vets have ever tried this but I have had some good results off my Vet. She does a tear duct flush then syringes fucithalmic into the tear duct, I'm lucky in the fact that she does it while the bun is conscious first and then if she doesn't get results she will then put them under a GA, she only aneasethises the eye at first do do the first tear duct flush.

No weve not tried it, thanks for the suggestion Kay, however in Chances case we now know there is no infection :roll: and its scarring from a previous infection which has caused his problems. Quite frustrating!

Back