• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering - vet arrangements

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I am planning on getting my 2 boys neutered at the end of February, I'll probably take a couple of days off work to watch over them.
I just wondered how much in advance do you need to book the appointment?

I've read that you need to see the vet before the operation just to give the bunny a look over, will i be able to take both my bunnies at this point? the reason I ask is I wanted both bunnies but done about 3 weeks apart.

when Wispa got spayed i phoned the vet on the monday, saw them on the tuesday and she was spayed on the thursday.

With Zola's neutering i phoned up and saw the vet a week later and dropped Zola off for the job on the day after that.

i think it depends on the individual practice, its worth giving them a ring and asking if you can book them in how you want

i think it will depend on your own vet, our vets you can ring up in the morning and be seen that day. I remember when parsley was done we rang on the friday and as given a health check then he went in on the monday to be done

Thats really quick. I'll wait to nearer the time then give the vet a phone about times.
Trying to wait until the warmer weather comes as one my little bunnies has a long coat, unfortunately he has a few matts in it and he wont let me near them, so I'm going to ask he can get a trim/shave in some areas whilst he's knocked out.

Hiya :wave:

I agree it depends on your surgery as to how soon they can fit them in, some surgeries are very busy, some pretty quiet.

If they don't request to see your buns pre op ensure you make an appointment the morning you take them in so the vet can check they 'have dropped' and take their temps and have a feel of their tums etc. There is nothing worse than having an animal put under a GA to find something that stops the op going ahead (it does happen!) Also if its not for financial reasons, I don't see any reason not to get them neutered on the same day. Either way, make sure they both go and stay at the surgery for the day on both op days and that the one operated on is put straight back in with his brother once he has come round. This will help the one who has had the op to recover quicker and happier :D
I would also send them with a 'packed lunch' with their usual dry food, hay and fave veggies/herbs etc so they can be offered (the surgery may not have same food/veggies etc) soon as they have come round :D

They are not brothers, they're chalk and cheese:lol:
These bunnies hate each other, they can tolerate each other through bars but thats it.
I'll make sure to ask the vet about food too!

Can they still have there breakfast on the morning of the operation?

They can still eat yeah as rabbits cant b sick,its VERY dangerous to stop feeding your bun,it can stop there tummys from working!
I know when i took phoebe in to be neutered,they just done his health check b4 i left him the day he was neutered! and i made my appointment 2 weeks in advance

They are not brothers, they're chalk and cheese:lol:
These bunnies hate each other, they can tolerate each other through bars but thats it.
I'll make sure to ask the vet about food too!

Can they still have there breakfast on the morning of the operation?

Yes, they must! If your vet tells you to starve your rabbit like you would with a cat or dog I suspect they are not very rabbit savvy at all, and you should go else where. Any substantial interruption in food can have devastating effects on their tummies, causing GI statis which can be fatal.

They should give the rabbit pain killers and gut stimulants after the op to get the system going again. Often vets won't let them leave until they have eaten and pooped.

See this on neutering in the reference section:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51537

Yes, they must! If your vet tells you to starve your rabbit like you would with a cat or dog I suspect they are not very rabbit savvy at all, and you should go else where.

Totally agree there!

Ignore my rambling about keeping them together then, didn't realise they were seperate :oops: :lol:

Back