• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sorry another bonding question!!

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
i didnt want to hijack indiechic's post so i thought id ask here

i read her's and decided when its time to bond my two, id do the same sorta thing, restrict their space in a pen etc.

They sometimes are out together at the moment but Zola humps Wispa (he was castrated yesterday) and we have 10ish days till he heals (when the bonding will start) Wispa takes it once or twice but when he doesnt stop she gets scared and just cowers underneath him.

when they are in the pen should i just let him hump her even though shes scared and hope that it calms down and he stops humping?

they have to 'hump' to sort out dominance. they will chase each other, pull fur etc etc and you have to leave them to it. unless they r hurting each other then just keep a watchful eye but dont intervene x

okies, so just hold myself back?! its hard because Wispa looks so scared with this big lump of a rabbit (twice her size and weight) running around after her! i decided to do the pen thing because she wont have any where to hide from him

its going to be hard to not push him off of her!!!

on average how long does the humping go on for??

Hi

My Stewy has been neutered 3 weeks tomorrow and willow is primarily keep in a dog crate and he goes in the kitchen so she can come out to play for a couple of hours. I have been advised not to start bonding them until 4 weeks as he can still be fertile, I would definatley say 10 days isnt long enough to get all the sperm out the system!

When I bonded Thumper and Black Jack I found it hard to watch as she sat in a corner looking scared as he humped and fur pulled. Black Jack would just flop next to her when he had finished and poor Thumper looked Shell Shocked.
The second meeting they had the same thing happend but when they had both started to have a look around the kitchen Black Jack went back for more and Thumper gave him such a look that he just stoped in his tracks! She is actualy the dominant one now, puting her head out to him for grooming! Black Jack Still humps her even though he is castrated. I thin this is only when she lets him though!

We got our second rabbit Gloria as a companion for Wolfie, whose previous companion had died. He was neutered and initially she wasn't. I kept them beside each other for a while. He could see her and she could see him. Then I let them out and watched. Initially it was fine. He started the humping and she seemed to be tolerating it. I thought if we can get the dominance sorted out, maybe it will be OK. However, she started circling and then the fur started to fly. I had to break them up and then I separated them till she was spayed. We waited a month and then did parallel exercise. One was free in the compound and the other in the run. They could see each other and did lots of sniffing. No vicious stuff. After a couple of months I was thinking about letting them have a bit of time together, when fate took a hand. Wolfie escaped from the run (it was his turn) and got into the main compound. I wasn't there to see it and they obviously had a couple of real dust ups. He ended up with a bit of a tear on his ear, but other than that they were fine. I was horrified at what could have happened. They both looked a bit sheepish. I continued to separate them for a while, but noticed they seemed better together. Sitting together through the wire etc. Let them out together and stayed around and they have been absolutely fine. They now share a hutch together and adore each other. Witnessed a massive grooming session yesterday. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Back