• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you sometimes not bother to do the buns?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
It was windy and raining today and I couldn't be bothered to clean the bunnies, so I just put them back and gave them food and fresh hay and straw. Is this common? The wind was getting on my nerves. It kept blowing the newspaper and straw around, I got so fed up.

awww ((((hugs))) sorry can't help there my buns are house buns so we just have a huge 3 foot plastic cage to clean out which usually takes about 10mins coz they use their litter tray to poop and wee in, i'm sure the buns wont mind for a day or too

Are they litter trained? I got fed up with cleaning mine out when it was windy or raining so I made some adjustments to make it quicker and easier, litter trays not get whipped out and changed every other day and they have vetbed everywhere else, they come in the house whilst its being washed and dried then can go back out when I pop it back in, it only works because they don't toilet on the vetbed though.

I only clean mine out once a week anyway, I do the litter trays every 2-3 days and in between top up the hay, give them pellets, stroke them and run back inside between the gales!! Roll on summer :rolleyes:

btw I find they only ever wee where the hay is, so I only put hay in the litter trays now, makes cleaning out much easier

Heya

We had that problm when we first had Flump - we made an awesome home for her in the shed but the cold always made it hard to clean her out - but also felt happier once we had dragged ourselves and cleaned her!

The solution we found was makin her a house bun! I always wanted her to be in the house hated her in the shed but had to convince my fiancee. Easy to do once she mastered the litter tray plus no more cold clean outs!

Maybe you could make ur buns house buds? It's so rewarding and I found Flump to be much happier. It sounds hard work but it ain't aslong as you have enough room!

Hope I've helped a little!

I have hay in their litter trays and it has worked better. I use straw and hay in their bedroom though for warmth. In the summer, they'll have shredded paper as bedding and they don't dirty paper so hopefully, less cleaning out.

I have hay in their litter trays and it has worked better. I use straw and hay in their bedroom though for warmth. In the summer, they'll have shredded paper as bedding and they don't dirty paper so hopefully, less cleaning out.

Could they have vetbed or would it be bad for their hocks? It might be worth a try, you just pull it out, brush or hoover it and stick it in the wash, no scrubbing of the hutch needed unless they've pee'd where they aren't supposed to. When I used hay as bedding I found that they always soiled it so now only put it in the rack just next to the litter tray and now they're really good.

I have vetbed underneath the straw and the hay. But I feel it wouldn't be warm enough for them.

Mine have vetbed in the middle section and in a bedroom now and a snugglesafe and are covered on a night, I assume its warm enough especially since you use a duvet to cover them with, vetbed is supposed to be good for warmth or at least I thought so anyway :? ?

I only clean mine out once a week anyway, I do the litter trays every 2-3 days and in between top up the hay, give them pellets, stroke them and run back inside between the gales!! Roll on summer :rolleyes:

btw I find they only ever wee where the hay is, so I only put hay in the litter trays now, makes cleaning out much easier

I do the same! ^-^ I clean the litter trays every other day or so, but do a full clean once per week. At the moment, my bunnies are in the garage, so I'm relatively protected from wind and rain whilst doing them.

mine are indoors, and it was summer wen they were outdoors, i only had 2 when it was summer tho so if it was cold id just carry the hutch and buns inside and clean them out in the dinin room

I clean all mine out no matter what the weather! Change the litter tray every morning and sweep out the stray poo's from the run.

Evening, check the bedding is unsoiled and change it if it is.

I'm a bit obsessive I think...

I clean all mine out no matter what the weather! Change the litter tray every morning and sweep out the stray poo's from the run.

Yes I'm the same. I put it down to when I was a kid and helped out at a stables, we were always taught that we had to make sure our horses were comfortable before we thought of our own needs.

Rabbits outside in the winter can be a trial. I never mind if it's jjust cold but when it's pouring with rain, it takes forever. However, I always think seeing them in warm and dry playhouse, happily munching on hay makes it all worth it (then I go indoors and see the state of my hair).

I always do mine, wind & rain wont kill you. When you commit to rabbits you commit to cleaning them out in all weathers too imo! ;)

I would leave them a day if they werent too mucky and it was really awful weather but if I know they *need* doing i just put on a big coat and some boots :lol:

What I'm going to do next is instead of having the entire hutch full up with straw, to have a big box of straw for a bed, to make it easier and less messy to clean out.

Mine are easier to do cos they're in sheds, so I only get wet walking from the house to the sheds - I just have to remember to take everyting with me else I'm up and down like a yo-yo.

Got absolutely soaked today though doing the outdoor rabbits at the rescue, but seeing them clean with fresh hay always makes up for it!

I'll join you with being obsessive then because i do the same! :lol::D

I clean the litter tray out every other day as a MINIMUM (and that's with just one bunny using it!). The shed only get a thorough clean once a week - topped up with hay / or some reaplaced and vet bed shaken out / refreshed as and when I feel necessary inbetween!

Sweepting the run when it's constantly wet though isn't a fun job (I seem to spray myself with stray wet poohs!). I try and time the weekly thorough clean to when the wheather if "better" - if it's fine first thing in the morning that's when I got out and do it. Otherwise, put on a coat, hat etc and get on with it - doesn't take that long and you can always treat youself to a nice hot bath and indulgant hot chocolate afterwards!

Hannah

Back