• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

FAO Sooz - Smokey & Panacur

kerina

Warren Scout
Hi Sooz

Just a quick one, hope you don't mind :oops:

You were helping me the other day with my remaining rabbit, Smokey (Nethie) and advised me to get some panacur, as having read posts on EC, I think this may have been what Blackeye died of (don't know really though, just being safe!)

The panacur has arrived, I order 5 syringes of the paste. Just want to check one more time, that giving Smokey 1 graduation daily for 6 weeks (in case he has active EC) isn't going to hurt him unduly?? Or upset his tummy?

I hate to think I'm doing something that I may not need to do - i.e. he may be ok with just the 9 day dose?

Do you think I would be better to take him to the vet and have blood tests done for EC before I just go ahead with the 6 week course?

Just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing for the little fella! If the 6 week course is just like us taking vitamins (for example) then I will do this anyway, but if it would be like him taking antibiotics for 6 weeks and there are side effects, perhaps it would be best to get him tested first?

Thank you in advance!

Kerina
(the biggest bunny worrier in the world!)
xxx

It isn't like taking vitamins or probiotics etc, in the sense that it is most definitely a drug. But if you think that there is a chance of EC infection, I would go for it. It is a very persistent thing, so does seem to take a long time to eradicate - at least if you do the whole 6 weeks you have the chance of getting rid of it, whereas if you do it for less time, it might not be worth giving it at all.

Panacur has very limited and uncommon side effects, indeed I have never seen one in any of our rabbits that could be directly linked to the use of Fenbendazole.

The only way to run blood tests for EC which are conclusive is via titre testing which is expensive as it requires more than one test.

A single blood test will only identify wether exposure to EC has occured, i.e that antibodies are present.

In order to gauge an ACTIVE infection the test must be repeated two-three times over a period of weeks to see if the antibodies are increasing, declining or remaining static. Even this is often inconclusive.

I cannot tell you how to treat your rabbit, I am not qualified to do so, but if the rabbit was in my care I would personally be giving a 6 week course for the reasons above and previously discussed.

Last edited:
:D Thanks Sooz and Sarah

You've convinced me - i'll start Smokey on his 6 week course as of tomorrow morning.

I can't help being over protective of my only remaining baby!!

Kerina
xxx

P.S. I'll stop pestering you now!

P.P.S. You should have been a bunny vet Sooz!

Back